Did you like "Out of Town"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Occasionally I have a quick chat with a fellow YouTuber called Dave Knowles. Dave produced "Old Country" with Jack Hargreaves and still produces original content. He's just done a cracking piece on Forest Toys who made wooden toys between the wars in the New Forest.

I recall others enjoying Jack's stuff and thought that they might enjoy seeing it

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Loved it, my grandfather showed me one and we watched them together, few years back i bought the complete dvd series on ebay, unfortunately my wife had a clear out last year and gave loads to charity, including the dvds.

Reactions: British Red

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I’ve watched them all and very much enjoyed them. There have been other Jack Hargreaves snippets and full programmes also up on YouTube which I have happily consumed as well, but the other contributor’s content doesn’t seem to stay up very long, which is a real shame.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’ve watched them all and very much enjoyed them. There have been other Jack Hargreaves snippets and full programmes also up on YouTube which I have happily consumed as well, but the other contributor’s content doesn’t seem to stay up very long, which is a real shame.
I think Dave owns the copyright on "Old Country" he certainly sells the complete 3 series on DVD

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Back in the very late 1960's or possibly early 70's Jack used to organise / promote a Sea Angling competition which was sponsored by Southern Television every Summer. Parties of Anglers, some quite famous, would compete for a Southern TV trophy. The event ran from various South Coast Ports and involved small Angling boats some chartered, some privately owned.

I was a Merchant Seaman in those days and when home on leave I ran a Day Angling Boat owned by an elderly local man. He split the hire fee 3 ways, a third for the boat, a third for me and the rest for him as the owner. I could earn more in a weekend than my Seaman's wages for a fortnight.

This was pre 1974 because I changed jobs and came ashore then. One Summer the competition came to Sussex and the water front cafe where the Boat Skippers waited for their clients was packed early one morning. Jack and other Southern TV camera crews and staff were holding a briefing for the contestants in the competition which was going to be filmed for TV.

I kept out of the way while awaiting my customers ( 6 blokes from the London Transport Angling Club) I was a regular viewer of Jack in 'Out of Town' on Friday evening TV which I used to watch with my nippers.
My lasting impression of Jack from that occasion was of a very friendly, highly knowledgeable man, very much in control but with no 'airs or graces.' Remember this was in the days of free speech prior to the political correctness infestation, and having just returned from a fair time in the Tropics I was a good few shades darker than the other boat Skippers and they were making me aware of it. A lot of mickey taking which Jack added to with a few wry but not nasty comments. All in all, a nice man much respected and sadly missed.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Posts on this thread have helped to sharpen up my hazy memories of Jack Hargreaves. From above comments I realised i must have watched most of the programmes in the mid sixties when living in Fareham, near where our first son, now 54, was born. Jack would be pleased to learn that our 17 year-old grandson is active in the way of life Jack espoused. I had forgotten that the programmes went out on Southern Television.
The only thing I disliked was the Max Bygraves rendition of the theme song. Although I quite liked Max Bygraves, he seemed to me to be the quintessential Londoner and thus unsuitable to be the voice of southern rural England: strange how easily irritated i was when young!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
It always amused me that the theme song is a Spanish guitar piece

:) It puzzled me too BR, ' Memories of Alhambra' but I read Jack's explanation in an article he wrote, as to why he chose it.
It was Old Country and opened with a pair of big Shire Horses pulling a plough. If you watch it, the horses' slow plodding steps are almost in perfect time with the cadence of the music

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE