Devon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Planning what I will do on weekends while training.

Im going to be in Exeter...lots to see and do.

Ive found a few `no frills` campsites...there are also those who allow campfires but though cheap, seem to be rather in demand.

Places I hope to see.

Burgh Island. (after painstakiningly explaining to Dad what a `sea tractor` is, Ill have to go see for myself.)

(Id like to get to Lundy but fear that may be beyond my pocket....they do camping on Lundy too. I think youd need a few days to explore the place...its a two hour sea journey too)

Some Dartmoor Tors (not decided which yet)

Doone Valley. (A fave book of my childhood. Nice campsites too)

Dartmouth. (nice trip up river to Totnes)

Any suggestions? Ill find you some links to places I have found.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Tengu, try the round robin.One ticket gets you a steam train from paignton to kingswear,a ferry to dartmout,a boat to totnes and an open top decker back to paignton.Or you can do it in reverse.Another thing to see is dartmoor prison,don't talk to any strangers.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Some Dartmoor Tors (not decided which yet)

I did a training trek with some D of Eers recently from Bellever to Meldon and can recommend it as an intro to Dartmoor. Go via the stone circles at Grey Wethers, Sittaford Tor, Hangingstone Hill then over High Willhays and Yes Tor. A long day out but well worth it with plenty of navigation ppractice and hardly any paths to follow in places. Make sure the army are not firing!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Go see the clapper bridge at Postbridge, and be sure to pop in to the Warren House Inn on the moor.

In Exeter the walk along the river and canal to the Double Locks pub used to be nice (start from the Quay)

Make sure that you pop into Endicotts naturally

Don't overlook Exmoor and North Devon - some lovely spots up there

Find out about the catacombs in Exeter - very interesting

.......so many great places there. I miss it

Red

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Lots to see and do on the cliff path. Exmouth (Gateway to the Jurassic Coast) and all the way along Eastwards.
If you're into cycling there's the new cycle path from Exeter down along the Exe to Exmouth.
Haldon forest has a lot of nature walks and MTB trails but gets very busy.
Woodbury common (Squaddies 2nd home) is Europe's largest pebble heathland, lots of good fauna and flora there. And if you look you might pick up some kit left over after the Marines have been on exercise.
You can't go wrong with Dartmoor. Loads to see and loads to do.

I used to work for the National Trust on the West Exmoor Coast, fantastic. Stunning 500ft cliffs and dramatic scree valleys, Heddons Mouth, Woody Bay and the Valley of the Rocks are amongst my favorites. Should be some nice foraging potential too...

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE