Desert pants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
hey all, i'm on the search for some decent (and decently cheap) pants. I get hot fast, and a sweaty crotch sucks. For the past couple years I was traveling around Europe, and Morocco, wearing poly/cotton (60/40 I believe) pants which were sweat boxes. Ended up cutting them into shorts and it was only when I had worn them down near the end of that trip that airflow was beginning to be not much of a problem. Though I know in 50 celsius it's impossible not to sweat.

Anyways, when I was in the Canadian army, the pants we had were very nice, a sort of two layer VERY thin cotton that breathed fantastically, and were quite durable to boot. Didn't end up trying the desert issue pants, however. I cannot find the same style in any other pants since, and the pattern is a bit much for me outside of uniform. I like the look of the British desert pants, but was wondering how they fare in very hot temperatures? Are they thinner than your temperate stuff?

Also, i'm thinking of grabbing a desert smock, and was curious about the breathability of that. The windproofness must make it a bit warmer than something without a tight weave, eh? Are they actually practical in hot temps? Or made for the colder months or mountainous terrain?

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Hi
if you want desert gear for any desert outside the continent of Northern America I would steer clear of any camo. In some African countries it's illegal, full stop, and the rest of those countries, including South America it just sends out the wrong vibe. (I wear Camo all the time, Im not one of those people who say you shouldn't ever wear it... Frequently I look like I've stepped out of the pages of a Cabelas catalogue!)
You can get away with some khaki or stone pants, but a top in a non military hue is best. I'd be tempted to get a shalwar kameez type suit for some places - it certainly pays to be very aware of the cultural and religious practices of the country you are in. I've seen a lot of westerners come unstuck just from the clothes they wear. Seems silly to some , but how you dress is Very Important to some people.
But to answer your question, the UK desert gear is top notch for what it's meant to do

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tried many many trousers for hot weather hikes, my current favourites are Montane Terra's

172102551212.jpg

Really light weight but also very tough, dry fast and have zips with vents at just under the pockets.
I've hiked in 40c+ in these and they're as comfortable as anything can be in those temps.

Only thing i don't like is that they don't have a map pocket on the thigh

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Unfortunately these pants are a bit pricey for the likes of me. I'll keep a lookout for deals.

One of the bigger reasons i'm out for military kit is the cheapness. I figure I could perhaps dye the stuff and blend in a bit better.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I live in Craghopper Kiwi's in the summer. They are light, dry very quickly, are pretty windproof too which makes them surprisingly warm when needed (at least compared to jeans). They are nice practical trousers, with loads of pockets. The base of the trouser leg has tape to avoid fraying. They come with a belt which is pretty useless.
They are cheap too, you can get the online for around £20 to £25. I've seen some criticism of th equality of recent versions, but having bought a new pair last summer I find that they are perhaps better than earlier models... certainly the last couple of pairs I've had hace not had the problem of slitting crotches I used to get after a year or so's wear. https://www.trekwear.co.uk/mens_clo...oppers_classic_kiwi_mens_walking_trousers.htm

As far as windproof smocks go, I've got a couple and I really like the latest MTP version. I think it may be a bit too warm for desert conditions though, at least day time... I tend to use mine in sprng and autumn as a jacket and in winter with an Alpha button in liner (just add a few buttons) and it is a nice warm, windproof (as its name suggests) and mildy showerproof coat.
Don't know about camo though, outside European countries...

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE