Desert Island Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
What are your favourite woodland, bushcraft, natural sciences, natural history, botanical, entomological etc books ? Books you have learned from, the books you think are incredible, the books you would choose over all others if you had to choose only what you could carry.

If books are a bit ye olde worlde for you and you find websites more appealing, where do you go to find out, check and learn? If it’s on youtube, being more precise than ‘youtube’ would help.

Reactions: Le Loup

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think there was a thread about this a while ago? Anyway I would chose One Man’s Wilderness by Richard Proenneke and Sam Keith and probably Impossible Journey by Micheal Asher. Both are great stories of travel and nature although in very different climates.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Peterson Field Guide series. Pick any subject that suits your fancy. I have Animal Tracks and the Insects volumes.
We have suberb field guides for plants in this very region. Was the best selling book in all of Canada when it came out.
You must have regional texts all over the UK as well. Royal Society publications, those sorts of things.

Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger. EJ was a museum director and put this out originally in 1945, now reprinted.
It's obvious that TV Bushcrafters study this book to make up a program script. They rarely understand why.
Just remember that our paper birch is far more workable than any natural birch in the UK.

My library is shelved downstairs. Probably 2,000+ titles.
All the field books are upstairs in a case in the living room. For study and reference after a day's outing.
Several bird books, the plant books, and the others. Geology holds little curiosity for me.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
What are your favourite woodland, bushcraft, natural sciences, natural history, botanical, entomological etc books ? Books you have learned from, the books you think are incredible, the books you would choose over all others if you had to choose only what you could carry.

If books are a bit ye olde worlde for you and you find websites more appealing, where do you go to find out, check and learn? If it’s on youtube, being more precise than ‘youtube’ would help.
KH-book-REDUCED.jpg

https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-book-primitive-fire-lighting-ebook.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=subscriber
Keith.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Thanks i’ll check that out.

I wandered around a coppiced wood today for a couple of hours. I know next to nothing about coppicing, woodland management.

Any opinions on Woodland Craft by Ben Law?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Well, there's this geezer called Ray Mears who has written a book or two..........surprised he's not been mentioned yet so I'll stick one of his in the frame - Essential Bushcraft. I must confess to being slightly indifferent about Mearsy, but have huge respect for what he has achieved and this book in particular. I was distraught when I got home from work the other day to find that my Cocker Spaniel pup had also taken a keen interest in the book!!!

I think a key factor here is also about what motivates people to get outdoors. I enjoy having a basic understanding of bushcraft (and camp craft). But what really makes me tick and inspires me to camp out so often is the nature. I love being able to understand all the different noises and tracks/sign that you see. To that extent, I'd add another couple of books to the mix:

The Wood, by John Lewis-Stempel. This is a very well written book which is a year in Johns life where he manages a small woodland. I love the almost poetic writing style that he has as well as he is intimate knowledge of his woodland and the animals that call it their home. As you read the book you begin to pick up lots of little nuggets of information about the trees in particular and their many uses. I'd also recommend you check out some of his other books as he's also written lots on various facets of the great outdoors (his book on Owls is also a good'un).

RSPB Pocket guide to British birds. There was a time that this book came everywhere with me as I sought to understand what each and every bird was. After a while I stopped taking it as I grew to understand more and more and can usually identify a bird by it's sound alone. It's a great reference guide if you're interested in learning.

Final submission, Woodcraft and Camping by George Washington Sears (aka: Nessmuk). I've read Kephart's book as well but found Nessmuk's writing to be far more enjoyable and I appreciated his outlook on life. Best of all, you can download this for free!! I liked it so much that I've read it twice!!

Enjoy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd have to choose my whole library. I couldn't possibly choose a single book . Or even a couple of books. I have been meaning to get some new bookcases. I think I'll need three to house them all. That's just my outdoor related library without all my other books.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE