Des Pawson - Book of Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Yesterday, I received a book - Handbook of Knots by Des Pawson (no, it's not a
feeble Spoonerism). Must say that I've never seen such a well thought out,
superbly illustrated and excellently executed book. Perhaps not for the most
experience knotters. I'm not bad with knots and about half in the book are new to
me. Layout, photos and instructions are superb!

Anyone have any other recommendations for books on knots (apart from Ashleys)?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher Lifthasir.

Yerse, Des does a good book and he is fascinating to talk to.
So, give him a shout and ask him for his catalog, cos, in the back theres ALL sorts of titles.

However, he will point you in the right direction, I,m sure.

But, staying down wind of Ashley, I can recommend "A handbook of knots and Knot tying" by Geoff Budworth. Its layout and pics are similar to Des,s but content is a bit more hi-spec.

Ceeg

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Seagull,

some of the 'decorative' knots in Des's book look interesting..are there more of
this kind of thing in Geoff Budworth's book?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did a four day traditional fender making course with Des Pawson; totally excellent :D He is incredibly knowledgeable and a very good teacher too
His books are well worth every penny, very clearly laid out. Happily recommend, as they say :)

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. the fenders were for a Birlinn which is a Scottish longship.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
pierre girard said:
I have an old book called the "Ashley's Book of Knots." I'm wondering if it is still in print. Has every knot I'll ever need to know.

PG

Pierre Girard, that's the tyers bible :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Toddy said:
Pierre Girard, that's the tyers bible :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy
still available but cost about £40. If the Des Pawson is as good they are a lot lot cheaper. What are your thoughts?
Tutchi
:cool:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Tutchi said:
Hi Toddy
still available but cost about £40. If the Des Pawson is as good they are a lot lot cheaper. What are your thoughts?
Tutchi

Check rummage sales or old book stores. Paid 25 cents for this Ashley - in very nice shape - still had the dust cover.

PG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
pierre girard said:
Check rummage sales or old book stores. Paid 25 cents for this Ashley - in very nice shape - still had the dust cover.

PG

You are truly a lucky man :rolleyes: :)
A friend bought a second hand copy last year and felt he'd gotten a bargain at £30!

Tutchi, Des's books really are good, very clear and accessible but Ashley's has the reputation of having it all.

Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
A friend bought a second hand copy last year and felt he'd gotten a bargain at £30!

Tutchi, Des's books really are good, very clear and accessible but Ashley's has the reputation of having it all.

Cheers,
Toddy

Well, this WAS 20 years ago. Has some very nice packing knots, trappers hitches, and good knots for lining canoes and the like.

PG

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Toddy said:

Hi Toddy
Thanks for getting back to me.

Pierre
will give you a dollar for it :lmao:

Cheers
Tutchi

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I bought a shiny paperback version last year from Amazon and I'm sure it was only about £13. I like the picture of him on the sleeve. What a stud!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE