Dehydrator

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just a thought, I saw a demo of making a dehydrator out of a single kitchen cupboard, wire off a disposable BBQ and a 40w lightbulb for the heat (Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine founder - oops forgot his name:eek: ) at Ronnie Sunshines open day.
Question - With all of the low wattage, green bulbs coming in, will they still dry food as they run a lot cooler and "normal" bulbs are bieng fazed quickly out?
How about led lights - no heat?
:confused:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I saw the same set up at Ronnies as well.

I asked the guy the same question about the bulbs being phased out and was told that despite being low energy bulbs they put out a similar amount of heat so you ought to be ok.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not convinced that a low energy bulb would work myself. They only consume say 11W which is a miniscule amount of power to convert to heat ...and are 90% efficient...so say 1W of heat!

They are very possible to make as comploetely passive solar though......

Any low heat source (and preferably a fan like an old computer fan) will work though. Something like an aquarium heater would probably work....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know, that's a very good point..........if you could rig up a dehydrator powered by the heat and from a computer, there's the perfect excuse for sitting logged on :D

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Y'know, that's a very good point..........if you could rig up a dehydrator powered by the heat and from a computer, there's the perfect excuse for sitting logged on :D

cheers,
Toddy

Needs a brand name though..........

If its beef it could be "surf & turf" :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE