Dehydrator Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
OK - I think at least half of us have bought a dehydrator in the past year - either from QVC, Tchibo or Westfalia - so does anyone have any good recipes, timings etc to share for tasty things to make?

I'll start with one:

Mango Fruit Leather

Take 1 tin of mango puree (available from many Indian/ethnic food shops), spread to a thickness of around 4mm onto a piece of clingfilm lining a tray, leaving a 1cm gap round the edges for expansion. Dehydrate until the centre becomes hard enough that tapping it with your finger doesn't make a dent. (in mine about 12-14 hours). Cut into strips and roll up!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
not so much a recipie as a warning, when you dehydrate carots they shrivel to a tiny amount. so when you put an amount in a stew ,watch out you dont end up with carrot stew, as they rehydrate to the same size they were. I'd read about this, but reckoned it couldnt be as bad as that, and it was.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
not so much a recipie as a warning, when you dehydrate carots they shrivel to a tiny amount. so when you put an amount in a stew ,watch out you dont end up with carrot stew, as they rehydrate to the same size they were. I'd read about this, but reckoned it couldnt be as bad as that, and it was.....

Very true John, same goes for sliced green beans

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Dried banana: take a couple of overripe bananas (that you might have been about to put on the compost heap), slice into 5mm circles and dry for (in my case) 4-5 hours. Stop before they get too hard - they should still be a bit flexible (unlike the banana cardboard that you sometimes get in meusli).

These are delicious and chewy - rather like eating banana flavoured toffee.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE