Dehydrating food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Been looking into this lately, and hoping someone can help. Now obviously it weighs less carrying dehydrated food and thus makes sense for meal foods. Now I could simply buy cheap brands of a certain noodle add water product but I would rather starve, at the moment paying out for an actual dehydrator is beyond my wallet limit.

Had a look around on youtube etc and google and saw a couple of instances of folk mentioning using an oven at low heat. Has anyone here ever managed to find a reliable method to fully dehydrate a proper meal that then works by boiling in the field? If so can you please share your methods.

Thanks in advance.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rich, drying food has been talked about a lot, really lots and lot. Type in dehydrator in the search box and read through the many results that will come up.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I recently got into de-hydrating, this thread answered a lot of my questions. I got an Andrew James dehydrator from Amazon, but from what I've read it seems the oven will do the job as well.

If you haven't already check out BabelFish5 on youtube...

[video=youtube;kJqMmWJA7EQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqMmWJA7EQ&list=PL812 519E8B35CAB35[/video]

I just got my Nesco 700watt dehydrator and Food Saver vacuum sealer on Wednesday, and it's been on almost every hour I've been awake since! Today is it's first break.

Dehydrated a test serving of spaghetti which turned out amazing so I dehydrated the rest of the pot. Only took about 4 hours.
Also did some chicken jerky, which so far hasn't given me food poisoning so I think its good. It tasted good anyway!

I'm so happy with it, and I'm sure you will be too. Really opens doors for what kind of meals you can take in the woods, especially for the weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE