Dehydrated/dried ingredients list for lightweight meals

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It would be good to have a thread where people can put their dried/longlife food finds that could be incorporated into backpacking meals.

I usually shop in a small Tesco but today went to Asda on the way back from a trip. Lots of things I never saw before but I will start with some mixed dried veg that caught my eye. Price was 55p for 50 grams.

Feel free to add any ingredients that you have discovered.

Steve

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
if you have a look in your local Chinese supermarket you will find loads of dried ingredients , and if you can't recognise them just ask the staff , the ones in my local Chinese supermarkets were happy to translate for me. p.s they sell belter one man cheap woks too !

cheers Andrew.

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Smash, ready made gravy, sausages (being the heaviest part)
And dehydrated onions with get slightly brown off with the sausages for the gravy.
Makes a good meal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
It would be good to have a thread where people can put their dried/longlife food finds that could be incorporated into backpacking meals.

I usually shop in a small Tesco but today went to Asda on the way back from a trip. Lots of things I never saw before but I will start with some mixed dried veg that caught my eye. Price was 55p for 50 grams.

Feel free to add any ingredients that you have discovered.

Steve

That would go well with dehydrated beef and a stock cube and a bit if tomato purée.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Smash, ready made gravy, sausages (being the heaviest part)
And dehydrated onions with get slightly brown off with the sausages for the gravy.
Makes a good meal!

I always pop a little bit of sage and onion stuffing mix in. I know it's supposed to be done in the oven once it's been covered in boiling water. But it gives you the proper sunday roast type feel and is a nice comforter when you're out in the hills/woods.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of dried berries and vegetables on E-bay. Dried yoghurt powder with dried blueberries makes a great snack, breakfast or dessert. Tomato powder, onion powder and garlic powder offers the basis for a good pasta sauce.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I always pop a little bit of sage and onion stuffing mix in. I know it's supposed to be done in the oven once it's been covered in boiling water. But it gives you the proper sunday roast type feel and is a nice comforter when you're out in the hills/woods.

Could try and fry it first with the sausages. If you do them small enough like patties then would cook.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Pasta plus pesto or chilli or garlic puree or olive oil and chorizo or whatever, endless variations on a simple easy to cook mostly dried food meal.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Pasta plus pesto or chilli or garlic puree or olive oil and chorizo or whatever, endless variations on a simple easy to cook mostly dried food meal.

I really like pesto. I'm out at the minute and I made a dehydrated tomato pasta with peppers, mushrooms loads of garlic and onion with chorizo. Had to eat it today because like the pesto it's really oily. So didn't dehydrate that well. How can I make or obtain pesto that will dehydrate with little/no oil?

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
If you have access to a dehydrator you can do pretty much anything you like, i have several kilner jars in the kitchen with dehydrated onion, garlic, carrot, leek and even sweetcorn. Plus you can make jerky, burger rocks etc....
Its a good way of preserving veg is like me you find there is always some in left over and about to turn.

I also have a vaccum sealer so i tend to make up single serving portions from the dried ingredients and just rehydrate and heat at camp.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Cous-cous and bulgar wheat make excellent starting points for a meal. Lots of carbs, pack tightly, and a very short cooking time. Marigold buillon powder adds a lot of flavour for a very small investment in size. Powdered butter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE