Dehydrate and Vacuum?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm exploring the food dehydration thing, and was wondering if it makes sense to vacuum seal the dried food after drying? It doubles the outlay and involves the on-going cost of bags or rolls,
making it an expensive mistake if mistake it be. I know there are members who know food preservation inside out so I'm hoping for some expert guidance :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you do decide to vaccum seal for long term storage Mac, make sure you get a vaccum sealer which can handle mylar bags.
The Foodsaver ones, are not really up to the task.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
OK, nice one Dave, I'll remember that; the main thing I'm not sure about is whether having dried the food, e.g. fruit leather, does it make an appreciable difference to storage times if you also vac. pack it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably not unless you're talking about really long term storage (5 to 10 years or more) But TBH I'm not sure.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't vac seal at all Macaroon. I often pop things like apple rings into Le parfait type jars.

I have happily eaten six month old jerky and one year old dried fruit like this

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't vac seal at all Macaroon. I often pop things like apple rings into Le parfait type jars.

I have happily eaten six month old jerky and one year old dried fruit like this

Thanks Hugh, that's precisely what I need to know; those time scales are just what I have in mind..........I was just starting to have conniptions when I looked at the prices of the decent vacuum machines capable of doing Mylar :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dont know about fruit leathers. Yes, vaccum packed food, will last considerably longer than none vaccum packed food. It all differs though.

If I had packed up some food, [and of course I'd never admit to that ...:)]
It would have been kidney beans and rice with oxygen absorbers, vaccum packed in mylar, stored in a cool even temperature, basement is ideal, inside food grade plastic 5 gallon containers, and tins of spam. That should still all be good in 20 years.
I think the people who have at least a years supply of food, stashed, and then rotate it, are doing the right thing.
So you've always got a years supply to fall back on. Thats probably more than 99% of the population have.
Thats not a crazy doomsday prepper thing. Its just good sense IMO.
A very good book is How to live on Wheat by John Hill.
I dont have any winter wheat, stored, but its something I'll be getting in future. I also got a really good little hand grain mill.
The short term stuff for camping, I like my proper comfort food, and so I have mince beef recipes, and baked bean leathers, tomato powder in small nalgene bottles, dried potato, mr mash, stuff like that. They all go in plastic bags.
The plastic bags vary widely in price. The foodsavers own make are expensive for instance. They have to be embossed to vaccum properly. But there are other branded bags, on amazon, which are very similiar and work just as well. You can boil in the bag with these. But the plastic bags let in oxygen at a much faster rate than mylar.
Foodsaver vaccum sealers will not seal smooth plastic bags, or mylar. I had one but sold it.
I now have a kf108 vaccum sealer, which I ordered from the states. It can handle mylar, below 7mm thick. Smooth plastic. Anything really.
Im sure someone else will be along with some advice?
I kinda delve into the whole prep subject in bits, now and again.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks Dave, I'm going to have a read on the subject and educate myself a little, but for my immediate requirements BR has nailed it exactly................

@ santaman; thanks for the response!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Ifyour main purpose is camp food, just palce the dehydrated food in a plastic bag, label (with date) and place in your freezer. That should be good for a year.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just got back from a 3 week trip using all homemade rats in embossed poly vac-sealed bags. 60% of the rats holed in the pack from carrying-pin ***** hole size that ruined the vacuum. They needed double vac sealing or using better commercial mylar bags.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
My vacum sealer cost me about £20 and £10 for 4 sets of the poly to make the bags. my dehydrator cost about £35 a good basic model and does what I need to so far and has been fun experimenting in making various meals and stuff. If you want to be all cheffy you can use the vaccum sealer for doing meat in prepartion for water bathing too, which my sister knicked off me to try and test, it did good in that as well :)

Food does last longer I find if you vaccum seal it as air does speed up the decay process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE