Deer surprise!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I was on a walk with a friend the other day through an area of woodland which is very beautiful but over-run with people and dogs. I have never seen deer there in 20 years of walking and we were actually just enjoying the spring flowers.
Then I spotted a deer track in a patch of mud. Completely doubting my abilities because I have never seen deer there I though I must be misreading a rogue sheep track as it was very deep mud and unclear! We carried on walking and I said to my friend "wouldn't it be great if there were deer in these woods."
Lo and behold the most wonderful Roe deer stag leapt across the path no more than a metre in front of us leaving us both standing open mouthed. It ran up a hill, stopped at the top and paused to look round at us before disappearing over the top. What an amazing experience, my closest encounter ever with deer!:D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Had a similar encounter last friday. Paddling to camp along the shore and came round a headland to find a wee herd of wild goats.:)

I know feral goats are quite common but they still gave us a bit of a surprise. Thought we were getting to know the area quite well and white isn't exactly a tricky colour to spot. A bit of googling has hinted that they've been around for yonks, definitely longer than the five years or so that we have.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I had a similar experience not long ago whilst walking part of the Ridgeway.

I have startled (and been startled by) pheasants whilst walking along the trail, but had never seen any mammal bigger than a rabbit.

It was pretty muddy and I had noticed some slots just off the trail. Whilst I was checking them out and thinking about getting the camera out, a hind came out of the cover to my left and started to cross the trail.

As I fumbled for the camera, she saw me, and bolted back through the cover through which she had come and across an open field.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a shot off, but examining the sign she left afterwards was very emlightening.

Needless to say, I now make sure I carry the camera round my neck and set to full auto.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE