Deep Frying (Dampers)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I'm sure I read in a book that a good way to cook dampers is to deep fry them, I think it might have been mors kochanski. But has anyone done it? Do they recommend it? Do you find it difficult keeping the oil at the right temperature over an open fire? And what shape do you make the dampers to cook? I'd imagine fairly thin, like regular dampers, or maybe ball shaped? I'd also guess that they would be pretty good rolled in sugar, pretty much a doughnut.

And has anyone had problems with the raisins in the dampers burning? One thing I despise is burnt raisins.

It seems like a pretty good way to cook, the oil can be reused again and again, and it adds lots of extra calories to food.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi fishy1,I make Puri's at home which is an Indian bread that is deep fried,the dough is just wholemeal flour,water and oil made up into a dough.Once you've kneaded the dough you break bits off and roll them into balls,then using a rolling pin roll them into a thin disc shape,next pop them into your hot fat and deep fry until golden. You must keep the dough moist though for them to puff up upon frying,i just stick the dough under a dampened towel.

As to deep frying over an open fire i think you would be better using embers from the fire rather than sitting your pan over an open flame,another idea would be to use a Wok on top of a charcoal brazer or hobo stove filled with charcoal.Naked flames and hot oil is a recipe for Whoosh and no eyebrows :)

Hope this is of some help.
Cheers Stuart.

Ps a good snack is if you take packet Nan breads out with you and some Whisky,pour whisky onto Nan then sprinkle sugar on top then toast next to the fire. Real tasty they are,if you don't believe me just ask Russ Aka(Warthog1981):D .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But you have to be very, very careful. Any spurt or drop of oil/ fat will flare into flame over an open fire, and before you know it the whole pot's alight like an enormous oil lamp :rolleyes:

Not saying it can't be done, Eric cooks chips for his grandson this way, and I've made pakora and the like over a campfire too; just that it needs more care than you might expect.

Dampers are inclined to just turn out greasy, they cook too fast on the surface which cracks and lets the oil soak inside. Yeasty breads, like doughnuts work very well though, and so do the Indian type of spicy things made using gram flour, or battered things like bananas and pineapples, or pieces of meats, fish or mushrooms.
Add a little cornmeal or rice flour to the batter for crispy:)

No idea about raisins, don't like burnt ones myself, commercial scones with hard, carbonised ones are awful abominations.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE