Decision on scottish trip finally made

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
After some deliberation my little clan has decided upon Galloway forest for our next 5 day trip. Any suggestions for places inside the forest are welcome. We are provisionally planning on the area in the west close to dry loch. But if anyone knows of a better option please weigh in. Hoping the water running through it is pottable as I haven't found any resources saying otherwise online.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers for that 3 in the basket! My good lady bought me some new insect repellant for £1.99 for a big bottle so I doubt it'll be much cop but she meant well! Water will either be boiled and filtered or will use steritabs and filter

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Should be a good trip Mick i've not been up that part of the GFP yet, my next trip up that way i am going to explore the deciduous woodland of this RSPB reserve just north of Newton Stewart

[h=1]Wood of Cree[/h]RSPB info page

Free downloadable RSPB map

According to my OS maps there are parking areas at either end of the reserve and several pathways exploring the inner woodlands which is filled with sessile oak, birch, rowan, ash, juniper (i know technically it's a shrub lol) and hawthorn and loads of wildlife and several streams running down into the river Cree perfect for local water collection to boil and purify

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Really looking forward to it and will be posting a trip report on here. I've only been able to view the OS for the area I intend to camp in online but the terrain doesn't look too bad and satellite imagery shows plenty of tracks through so access shouldn't be too gruelling on my somewhat dodgy knee!.
Just had a look at that rspb reserve looks like a promising day out you'll have to let me know what it's like. There was 1 or 2 juniper bushes near where I normally camp, planted not wild mind you. And the custodian of that woodland harvested it for charcoal. Best charcoal there is for black powder!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'll keep an eye out for your report, i'll do the same when i visit Cree Wood. Great thing about the GFP is it is huge and has 250 lochs so if where you first head isn't quite right there are plenty more areas nearby, sometimes it takes scouting a few different lochs to get a nice secluded spot to set up a good camp, the place is still very new to me and my last trip we settled on the fourth loch we explored but we were being quite particular in what we were looking for.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I have to admit I didn't expect it to be quite so big until I started looking into it online. Kind of place you could sue a different spot every weekend for years and years. I think our basic plan is more have the loch close by and actually camp in the woods as we use hammocks but if we can get to within view of it ideal. Close enough to have a nice bracing dip in the morning anway!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Aye it's a good way to shake off the clouds of dawn midges, i like to be near lochs in woodland near a stream that flows out of the mountains into said loch, thankfully this describes huge areas of the GFP and it only takes a couple of hours driving to get there, we are a lot closer to the park than it seems looking on maps

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Streams usually a must for me, it's surprising how much carrying your own water weighs. Sterlizer and a filter are far lighter. Aye according to maps it should only take 3 hours or thereabouts so it isn't bad at all really. Looking at the guidelines on wild camping in Scotland it's amazed me how relaxed their view on it is. Or rather how sensible. They seem to differentiate between wild campers/ bushcrafters and groups of ****** up teenagers and poachers unlike some places here that treat you the same as the rest!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
for me i find it a lot easier to get water from a stream than a lochside which are often marshy and bog like. it is the camping laws that take me back to Scotland time and time again

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
By the looks of the variety it may well do with me mate I can't believe I've never ventured north of the tweed to camp but I might well be doing a lot more of it.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Scotland has an Outdoor Access Code England has Civil Trespass laws, this makes me spend my leisure money and time north of the border, i make a point of always spending on food supplies in the local area on my way to the chosen area

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
This one paragraph sums it up

Trespass to land involves the "unjustifiable interference with land which is in the immediate and exclusive possession of another";[6] it is both a tort and, in certain circumstances, a crime under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. It is not necessary to prove that harm was suffered to bring a claim, and is instead actionable per se. While most trespasses to land are intentional, the courts have decided that it could also be committed negligently. Accidental trespass also incurs liability.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's a really good point actually. They encourage and we punish for the same activity. Buying food supplies locally is something I try to do too, but normally I'm just buying rice or pasta to bulk out what I bring meat from the field and veggies from the garden

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
So in short, in England it's possible to be committing a crime by causing no damage and doing bugger all wrong, even by wandering onto land unintentionally. Well isn't that disgraceful

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Nice i'd do that if i could too regarding meat and veg but i live in a high rise block. I find i've always got my eye open for those hand painted farm side signs selling goods once i hit the rural roads

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
So in short, in England it's possible to be committing a crime by causing no damage and doing bugger all wrong, even by wandering onto land unintentionally. Well isn't that disgraceful

eggsmeggingzactly lol Hello bonnie Scotland is all i can say to that

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Best local food I've found off a painted sign is there's a little beef and venison jerky producer on the way up toward alnwick. I shoot on a farm up that way occasionally and we stop for some of their jerky every time. Really good quality and taste and isn't even that expensive. Just shows if you keep your eyes open you can get some amazing local produce

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
sounds nice venison jerky is my favourite jerky i've tasted so far, we done some smoked on oak last summer and it was gorgeous

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That sounds good actually I've been toying with the idea of making some. If you're on the A1 northbound and you see a big yellow lorry parked up that's the place well worth the detour

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE