Decent solo lightweight tent advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Podcast Bob

It isn't 1.5kg but I've just bought one of these, which is ideal for Bushcraft fans. The picture is terrible, as it doesn't show you how the front doors close to give you almost a Shangri-La 3 type shape.

Its a Jack Wolfskin Tarp Tent, and they are not particularly well promoted. So like the Pro-Action tent, they are a bit of unique find.

But it has excellent head room, space and ability to pull the doors back and watch over a fire.

http://www.rawoutdoors.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=2733

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
(My 2 pence worth).

If you have the money the MSR Hubba (about £150) is amazing. I have the Hubba Hubba (2 man) and its amazes me everytime. Been over 12000ft with it, no problem!

I might have to get me a Argos bargin. Do they need to be proofed first. Something in my mind says to cheap to be able to take more than a shower?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
The smaller 1 and 2 man Colemans are great little Tents and i think the price is about right.

I think it's the Phact or Axior or something like that.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I might have to get me a Argos bargin. Do they need to be proofed first. Something in my mind says to cheap to be able to take more than a shower?

They don't need proofing (the seams are taped) and are very robust. The only thing I'd say is they could do with an extra guying point along the long sides to prevent flapping in high winds

Jim

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales

Yes thats a nice little tent, a bit lighter than the Pro Action. If he's not happy with the Argos PA I might sugest that. Cheers!

Podcast Bob It isn't 1.5kg but I've just bought one of these, which is ideal for Bushcraft fans. The picture is terrible, as it doesn't show you how the front doors close to give you almost a Shangri-La 3 type shape.

Its a Jack Wolfskin Tarp Tent, and they are not particularly well promoted. So like the Pro-Action tent, they are a bit of unique find.

But it has excellent head room, space and ability to pull the doors back and watch over a fire.

http://www.rawoutdoors.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=2733

That does look very nice, the only drawback is the weight, be great for shorter trips.

lamper (My 2 pence worth).

If you have the money the MSR Hubba (about £150) is amazing. I have the Hubba Hubba (2 man) and its amazes me everytime. Been over 12000ft with it, no problem!

The Hubba has a great reputation, never been in one myself but I did consider getting one myself for this trip but not enough room for Toby & Pack.
Don't think he can streatch to it mind ... Worth it in my opinion cus I know it will do the job perfectly.
Yes I hope this Pro Action does not leak in anything more that a sprinkling!

I'l get him to set it up and wait for a good amount of rain .... If it leaks thats a good reason to take it back.

Cheers all !

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Tempted to get a Pro Action myself at that price.

They're £24 at the moment until 24 July. Check the Argos site for availability - you can reserve. At £24 it's rude not to! They're actually quite OK - I'm going to seam seal and reproof mine with Grangers.

The Pro Action Hike Lite has just received a plug in TGO magazine too.

Clearly, the Shangri-La is of better quality but, you get what you pay for, in general. I bought the Pro Action for a solo TGO Challenge. If my brother comes, it's the Shangri-La all the way!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
They're actually quite OK - I'm going to seam seal and reproof mine with Grangers.

Why would you need to seam-seal it - my P.A. 1 has taped seams. Also IIRC the outer is P.U. treated, so it doesn't need proofing. (BTW, isn't Grangers only for cotton tents?).

Jim

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Have you thought about a hammock?

IMG_0106-1.jpg

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
"Hi, i'd take a look at the gelert solo a great little tent for £25 theres a place called winfields that sell them online"

I bought the Gelert 1 man tent and thought it was great - apart from one tiny awkward detail.

The opening on the one that I got was on the right hand side and my sleeping bag opens on the left. This means it's kinda awkward having to get into the tent from one side and then roll open the sleeping bag to get in from the other side.(It's a mummy type with hood so can't turn it over)

I'm thinking of changing to a 1 man tent with double sides opening, or maybe that Argos one would be just the trick.

Alan

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
Have you thought about a hammock?

IMG_0106-1.jpg

Oh yes, I use a DD in the woods :) I used to have one of those in your pic!
I thought about it but there may be no tree availability where we stop. Yes I could plonk it on the floor but it's just to much of a fiddle especially if I can't find suitable sticks to lift the net or pitch the tarp.
Also it's my sons and he's no dedicated Bushcrafter/tree swinger, I will convert him yet! :D

I mention other tent possibilities recommended here but hes happy with the feel of this PA, I'm yet to see it. ...

Again thanks for your input guys an gals.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Why would you need to seam-seal it - my P.A. 1 has taped seams. Also IIRC the outer is P.U. treated, so it doesn't need proofing. (BTW, isn't Grangers only for cotton tents?).

Jim

In my previous experience, taping on cheaper tents is not very robust. For the sake of an afternoon with a paintbrush, seamsealer, and tent UV/Water proofer, you can significantly improve the life and performance of just about any tent!

Seams are generally under a lot of tension, particularly in the wind. If a small amount starts to unpeel, the water and tension work together to strip the seam tape. One could argue that it's a bit 'belt and braces' but I sleep better better with two lines of defence!

The UV/Water proofer will help extend the life of the fly material. Plastics will degrade in sunlight due to UV radiation which will also 'bleach' the material. After use in strong sunlight, you can sometimes see the PU coating start to peel away from areas that rub or are under tension (like skin peeling after you get sunburnt). I'm certainly not telling people to go out and do it; it's just good practice if you want tents to last for a maximum period.

Both Grangers and Nikwax do reproofing and UV protection products - you can get them for cotton canvas tents and also for synthetic fibres.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE