decent paracord in big lengths?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I got one of those big 100m rolls, off eBay I think. Can't say I've had any complaints about it. It does the job. I didn't subject it to any huge loads, jut used it as guylines and a tarp ridgeline. Worked fine.

I've nearly finished my roll now, and am thinking of getting another.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I got mine of eBay to for about a tenner for 100 metres.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I haven't bought any of the Amazon stuff but I'd just be a little suspicious if it's really cheap. Sometimes people sell polyester cord instead of nylon. Paracord is supposed to be nylon, it's stronger than polyester and it stretches a lot more than polyester. The elasticity can be important (e.g. in cords on parachutes!) or it can be a problem, for example when you're trying to untie a badly-made knot that's had a lot of strain put on it.

Last year I bought a few bags of cords cut from scrap parachutes:

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product.php/257/parachute-cord/

I've used the stuff a heck of a lot in the past year, it's handy having a lot of reasonable lengths and you don't have to agonize about cutting it. :)

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I bought 1000 ft on a roll, and because I are a bit 'mouse button happy' I managed to order 2 by mistake. It's the proper US tackle.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
+1 on bushcraft store. Ive found they offer the most consistent GSA compliant cord. I used to use 5 star cord but they are no longer based in the uk. The green webtex stuff is ok in a pinch but not where strength or aesthetically pleasing results are needed.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
+3, I think, for bushcraft store, I use their brown 550 paracord for neck knives and the like and it's reall pukka, good stuff!

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
All those who have purchased from the bushcraft store guys, how long ago did you buy? What are you comparing their cord to? By that I mean have you had cord from others to say how good their cord is?

I've not purchased from them for a while. I found the quality of the cord would vary. Sometimes I would get good cord, Sometimes it was very flat, had no roundness to it, as if the outer sheath was too large.

Now I should state, I'm very fussy about cord, I use it to make lanyards, dogleads and other knot work. So good quality cord that is full bodied and round is what I require.

If I could find a supply of good quality cord here in the UK it would really help. If it was from the bushcraft store I would be really happy as they are only 20 mins away!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
As for the differences in shape, I've found that this does happen. The standard stuff such as black, cayote brown, dpm's are nice and rounded. Whereas the sky blues, neons and such have been more flattened. Maybe more than one supplier perhaps?
They all still have the same inner strands though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
i keep being recommended a 100m roll of paracord on amazon
was wondering if anyone has bought any long lengths of paracord as i have a few ideas in mind which would make buying a big length i can cut to size seem a logical route to go

Me and you must have a very simialar history on Internet explorer mate lol, I too have been looking at that cord for a long time, got a decent quote from the bushcraft store myself the other day, but Teepee keeps teling me to get some Dyneema stuff, and it works out very similar in price but a lot stronger!!
Cheers
Steve

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
As for the differences in shape, I've found that this does happen. The standard stuff such as black, cayote brown, dpm's are nice and rounded. Whereas the sky blues, neons and such have been more flattened. Maybe more than one supplier perhaps?
They all still have the same inner strands though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback, very useful info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE