Dealing with Openathens when an Independent Researcher

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Which it seems is what I am these days.

Need to access various papers but have no Uni account.

Can anyone please help?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You need to be a member of a subscribing library.
I have access through Glasgow University, as an Alumni it's something like £40 for the year.
Your own Uni ought to have something similar ?
You don't actually need to visit the Uni to access once the account is set up, well, for some things.
There's also a kind of reciprocal agreement between some Colleges and Universities for researchers.
You can write such fees off in your tax assessment I believe if you're self employed.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You don't need to be, you have studied there or graduated from there, therefore you're an Alumni, and you can pay the fee and get access as such. Independent researchers pay for access to other libraries to best suit themselves. They're all a little different, but research libraries will have some way you can create an account.

Check out the details of your old University library for Alumni access or Researchers access.
You might get lucky; some have bursaries for unemployed, etc.,

Reactions: Robbi

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks; I will try.

Whatever happened to this free and easy research we were promised when the Internet started?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's very bitty, and it's often cherry picked. It's also hard to find the entire piece sometimes. Taken out of context it can lose both meaning and intent.

Best of luck finding a bursary or research grant as well as access.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE