DD Solo / S tarp - any good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a lightweight tarp for a quick shelter during teh day (cooking lunch one day in the rain with my stove and matched soaked wasn't fun!) and also for very occassional use with a bivvi bag on scout survival camps.

I was going to go for a British Army tarp or Australian Army Hootchie but prices seem to be sky high for the genuine ones and the replicas (Highlander and Web Tex) seem very heavy by comparison.

I have come across teh DD Hammocks Solo tarp - also reffered to as S - http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-solo which seems about teh same size and is fairly light at 490g and npot too expensive at £32.

My question is - is it any good?

Thoughts, comments, alteranatives??

H

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
My pal just bought a DD tarp, 3x3 or 4x4 ?.. The company have had some problems with them tearing so they have cut the cloth tie points off down two sides, unfortunately the ones on the same sides as the ridge line, limiting versatility and rubbish for a hammock, so now you can only use it lento fashion “totally stupid “avoid the current batch like the plague save your cash they as good as useless.
I haven’t seen the DD solo tarp “don’t particularly want to now either” but if you do go for a DD phone them up and check the tie point situation first ...

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My pal just bought a DD tarp, 3x3 or 4x4 ?.. The company have had some problems with them tearing so they have cut the cloth tie points off down two sides, unfortunately the ones on the same side as the ridge line, limiting versatility and and rubbish for a hammock, so now you can only use it lento fashion “totally stupid “avoid the current batch like the plague they as good as useless.

My lad uses a current 3x3 with cut loops. Still fine for a hammock in diamond or regular pitch
4e9744c5-d46a-0009.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Jul 31, 2012
London
The way I understand the tie points problem, was that older models of the camo colour tarp were prone to tearing when stress was introduced to particular attachment points, so they simply removed the offending points from that batch and sold them at a discount.

New versions of the camo tarp, and all versions of the olive green tarp should have the full amount of attachment points.

Feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but I just ordered my first tarp the other day and did a little research first, and I think that's about the long and short of it.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Have a look at the BackpackingLight website. Loads of great gear on there and the service is second to none! When I bought a tarp from them they even sent a dvd with it, explaining various knots and configurations etc - my fave company to do business with over the net. I even got a follow-up phone call out of the blue to see if I was happy with it.
Oh, they always put sweeties in with yer order, too...

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
The way I understand the tie points problem, was that older models of the camo colour tarp were prone to tearing when stress was introduced to particular attachment points, so they simply removed the offending points from that batch and sold them at a discount.

New versions of the camo tarp, and all versions of the olive green tarp should have the full amount of attachment points.

Feel free correct me if I'm wrong, but I just ordered my first tarp the other day and did a little research first, and I think that's about the long and short of it.

DD have stopped selling the multicam tarps completely. From a discussion with the folks at DD, they don't have any plans to reintroduce them at the moment.

I've got the 3x3 multicam tarp bought a few months ago and it too has 4 attachment points cut off. I'm tempted to see if there's a way to reinforce the edges to reduce the chances of it ripping and put new AP's back on as I think it has impacted on the functionality a bit. If anyone has tried this I'd love to hear the outcome.

The new DD tarps in green or coyote have got the full 19 AP's. Coyote seems to be 'the new black'...or was it dpm/olive?...for bushy stuff)

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
All the attachment points are now reinforced so you shouldn't have a problem. I have a solo tarp but haven't tested it in anger yet, hopefully next week

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE