Day Trip To The Woods - Pics

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Took the boys up to one of our favourite haunts today on the South Downs, the woods looked and smelt gorgeous, that lovely earthy smell you get after rain

DSCF3662.jpg

Passed by a big old Beech tree that has dropped one of it's limbs in the adjacent field

DSCF3666.jpg

Getting to the point where we head off the path and go up the side of the hill away from everyone, we came over this

DSCF3668.jpg

It was quite obvious some one had stuck it in there in the not too distant past, but as the woods are located on chalk and the top soil is only inches deep, i cant see why anyone would take a fork that far up the hills and then leave it there, obviously they had a reason, cant figure it out myself as there is nothing, that i know of, that is worth digging for up there.

We left it there in the end as i/we had enough to carry without the fork as well, but we did remove it from the tree and leaned it against it rather than in it.

when we got to the area we frequent in these woods the two boys set about liberating some Hazel from a freshly fallen tree

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

Eldest has a "project" in mind for the back garden and needed some raw materails apparently, as i also needed some raw materials for an upcoming event ive been invited to, i couldn't very well argue with him.

Whilst messing around, youngest came over to me with this rock

DSCF3674.jpg

he told me i could use it as a bearing block for the bow drill and if we made a wick, and filled the hole with veg oil, we could also make a small oil lamp as well, how's that for thinking?

Eldest and i then set about some carving, so youngest decided it was time to practice his shelter building skills

DSCF3675.jpg

DSCF3677.jpg

Did pretty well at it i thought, before we left he took it all down again so it wouldn't form a hazard for wildlife (lots of deer and badgers around in these woods), all of the pieces are neatly stacked up ready for next time.

Really good day out with the boys, roll on next week now as we are hopefully spending a couple of nights out in our private woodland that we have use of.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys,

Funny you shoulld mention Truffles Rich, i thought that too, but speaking with my dad who raised on these and has been using these these hills and woods since the 1930's, he said that he used to get sent up there when he was a kid with a fork and a hessian sack or two to gather leaf mould for the garden, im thinking now that perhaps it's someone who follows the old ways, but left an old fork there rather than keep taking it back and forth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE