David and Goliath type sling

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am looking for a tutorial on making a simple sling - like David/primitive technologists etc used.
I am sure I saw one on here a while back but for the life of me I cannot find it...
The one I am thinking of had a woven shot pocket which I think was integral with the cords - but I would be interested in any ideas on making this kind of hunting sling.
I would be most interested in slings made from natural materials as I will be using it on an Iron Age site while teaching kiddies how "The Celts" lived...
Thanks in advance for all the folk who help here :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I saw a documentary, "The Celts" I think, Richard Rudgeley, where he visited a settlement, and one of the 'celts' used one of those slingshots to hit a shield, across the length of a field......:Wow:

Here it is: 57 minutes in...

[video=youtube;vwLqcnrGl6Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLqcnrGl6Y[/video]

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I tried my hand at slinging years back, there used to be a sling forum, don't know if its still running.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a go with one Josh made on a trip recently, great fun but my technique needed some work. I was trying to launch decent sized rocks out into a sea loch but most of the time they just went straight up in the air at 90* and then landed behind me, very dodgy but good fun.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Many thanks for the answers guys - I now have ample info :)
The funny thing is, for all I said about you choob :eek:, that video clip that Dave linked is filmed where I will be working and demonstrating!
The lady painting the young warriors face is my boss (known in the Celtic era as "Ariandrhod") and realy is very good at getting the schools program delivered to the kids and is no mean shot with a sling in her own right!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE