Dare I ask about Hootchies...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi All,

I'm sure this gets posted at least once a day - I've tried the search facility and there doesn't seem to be any current info on this, so.....

Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a genuine Hootchie at the moment? I've searched the net until I can see Alta Vista logos with my eyes shut!

Any help greatly appreciated as usual

Chris

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Chris,

Green hootchies are gold dust - real hootchies that is not basha's or the little weight British jungle ones.

I have a contact who drinks in the Australian SAS regimental bar and even he/they cant get Auscam ones as they are like Rocking horse pooh!

That said why do you want a genuine aussie hootchie? I have used a lightweight basha (olive green) for ages and it is (IMO) better - lighter and cheaper.

As a soldier I just used a old pattern green poncho and again it worked just as well.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Marts said:
Do you not have them in stock at the moment then Gary?

No Marts. The Aussie army just doesnt use green any more and so only cheap copies are available which I'd rather not sell. Due to this I'm dropping the line and replacing them with something more practical but I'll not go into on thread as its against the rules mate.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/

They should have some. There are quite a range of weights and qualities out there. By quality I don't just mean some are good and some are not. The green one I have from SASS seems well enough made, it is light weight and the finish is very slick, it can be a pain to fold because it slides around on itself. I know a couple people who got very heavy bashas from Woodland Organics when they sold them, easy to fold, but quite a weight.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
charliefox said:
Does anyone know where I might get my hands on a genuine Hootchie at the moment?

I e-mailed Ray's site about a week ago and apparantly they're getting some in stock in the next couple of weeks!

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
C_Claycomb said:
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/

They should have some. There are quite a range of weights and qualities out there. By quality I don't just mean some are good and some are not. The green one I have from SASS seems well enough made, it is light weight and the finish is very slick, it can be a pain to fold because it slides around on itself. I know a couple people who got very heavy bashas from Woodland Organics when they sold them, easy to fold, but quite a weight.

Thanks for the info - searched their site previously & couldn't find an appropriate one. How cunning to split shelters up into military and non-military foul weather shelters!

Finally found something suitable - thanks Chris!

G

Gripper

Gary,

I have seen a fair few green Hootchies about in Surplus stores in Perth all genuine articles and pretty good prices. The same shops will also sell the duff China made copies but the good ones are still about if you are willing to ferret about a bit. Wilderness Equipment also do a hootchie style tarp here http://www.hikelight.com.au/prod188.htm that is pretty good. Same goes for the Auscam but they don't seem as popular here...

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE