Danger of meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Hello, guys,

I finally got myself meths burner. I read on another forum that meths is highly poisonous chemical. Most meths burners are made to keep the burners inside the pots. Do you think there is much hazard from smell of meths accumulating in the pot? Also, sometimes you cannot burn all meths in the burner, so you return the rest of the unburned meths into the bottle. What do you do with the remaining meths drops in the burner? Do you burn them out before you pack? I had strong smell of meths in the room after I packed the burner without burning the remaining drops of meths. Do you know if the smell is highly toxic?

Regards,

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
*no scientific basis whatsoever disclaimer* :)

I've always thoughts meths was pretty harmless, I'm fairly sure the vapour isn't toxic. I think the smell (and taste - not that I've tasted it) is from the addition of methanol to make the ethanol unpalatable and it's dyed purple to make it obvious it's had methanol added. The smell isn't particularly pleasant, but in my wholly unqualified opinion, not harmful. I always burn away any excess, as my pop can stove hasn't got a lid.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
in my humble opinion:

i have used the stuff for years as well as scouts ect i have never heard of the fumes being dangerous.

mabey this is just a H&S disclaimer?

methalated spirits is very simular to alcohol and if vast amounts are in a confined space i suppose you could get "drunk" on it, but you would have to have alot of it in a very small space.

even tiny one man tents have alot of ventilation to reduce condensation, fuel fumes would also go.

the only risk i see with meths are the 2 or 3 fire risks:

1. the flame is faint so difficult to see in daylight.
2. meths has a spill hazard(though it evaporates quickley)
3, if lit and spilled it is very dangerous.

i can only think the fumes are dangerous if you actually specifically tried to sniff or get high on them by inhaling from a bottle, though i think the effects would be simular to sniffing alcohol i.e. not that effective.

oh and don't drink the stuff! :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Meths has some methanol added to deterr people from drinking it. Methanol is toxic by inhalation and ingestion. However, when using a meths stove I wouldn’t be at all concerned about inhaling a small amount – as long as you don’t go deliberately sniffing the stuff.
The percentage of methanol is quite low and the amounts you are talking about are so small that there is no need to worry.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That's true, methylated spirits are inherently poisonous. This is so that a person cannot drink them, as they are cheap, and and contain alcohol. If they were drinkable, I'm quite sure that the government would be taxing the *insert curse here* out of them, like with regular alcohol.

As for the fumes: When meths are burned, they produce carbon dioxide. Water. That's why on extended cooking times condensation collects on the bottom of your Trangia cooking pot. This also means that with proper ventilation, you can use your Trangia in a tent. (It's not recommended, but it can be done.) And no, the fumes will not poison your cooking pot, so long as you keep the cap screwed tightly!

White gas stoves, such as the MSR Whisperlite produce carbon monoxide as they burn, which will kill you just as quickly as it did back in the days of coal miners. Monoxide gas is odourless, colourless, and...well....you know the rest.

A.

PS: When I take my Trangia climbing with me, if there's any meths left in the burner, I let it cool off, and then just re-close it, tightly. The meth's still be there for my next meal. Obviously, when I come back, and clean my kit, I dump any remaining meths from the burner, and and air it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE