Damsons or Bullaces.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I picked 600g of what I thought at the time were Bullaces today, only now I get home and look at it, I wonder if they are Damsons.

Is there an easy way to work out which I have, if I only have the fruit? Didn't think to pick up some leaves to help ID.

Thanks

Julia

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's very difficult to know the answer to this one because of the readiness of Prunus to hybridise. The best way I can describe it is to say that Bullace are a direct cross between Sloe and Damson, both in taste and appearance.
It's all further complicated because all over the British Isles people call all sorts of things Bullace; e.g. five miles from here, down in the valley, what they commonly refer to as Bullace are actually Mirabelles. I did find an article
full of really good information on this some years ago, I'll try and find a link to it for you after dinner :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Sounds like I have Damsons, or at least, more something that's hybridised more in that direction than the sloe/Bullace direction.

Now to decide what to make with 600g of Damsons...

Cheers

Julia

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
Damson gin is my very favourite "infusion" gin - I think it's the drink of the gods!

i support every word of that. i don't bother with sloe gin any more.

it has been recommended to me recently that after the damsons are used for damson gin then you use them for damson gin jam.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The link I referred to earlier is on a laptop I don't have access to at the moment, but I can perhaps steer you to it from memory:

wildaboutbritain.co.uk - and the thread, IIRC, is "I'd like to know more about Bullace - what is it?

This is a very good read, and the best exposition of the subject I've ever found; enjoy and learn!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I’ve always believed the difference between damson and bullace is that damson are larger and more oval shaped (note, belief not fact) there are both varieties around here, just to confuse further (sorry) there is also a green coloured variety identical to the bullace also very common around here – but then there is greengage too !. I would hazard a guess that a good many people refer to damson/bullace generally by the most widely used local term whatever the variety may actually be, though there is a distinct difference around here, one is larger and oval presumed damson (though very much smaller than say a victoria plum), the other is smaller and rounder presumed bullace, though I know of numerous trees of the green variety in the bullace size (bullace/greengage?) I have not yet found a green variety in the damson size. Mirabelles are altogether different and more easily identified. I’m in agreement with macaroon, damson gin is a very fine drink indeed. ATB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE