damson liqueur

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have some damsons that are starting to get a bit soft, do i just throw them in the bottle ? I also have a few sloes could i just throw them all in together?
Apoligies for the barage of quesitons.

I could have had more sloes but our kid was trying to pilot a narrow boat for the first time whilst i leant over the edge picking the sloes :) Good job narrow boats survive the odd banking..

EdS

sloe gin - sloes, gin and sugar
1lb soles, 1 bottle of gin and 3/4lb sugar - I don't like it too sweet. Useless sugar than most people say as you can always add more after. Sloe whiskey works very well as well.

For each also ad 2 cloves and 1/2" of cinnamon bark.

I made some sloe and orange whiskey last year - same as above but less sugar and the juice of some fresh left over oranges.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks.

Do you think sloes and damsons could be a combo? Maybe in vodka or Gin ?
I dont have much of a sweet tooth either so ill take it easy on the sugar.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Having tried various damson, sloe, vodka, gin variations for me the best by a long way is straight damson with gin. It is the sharp tang and fruitiness of the damsons that sets them apart from the sloes. Difficult to describe why gin was better than vodka but it was.

Having said that none of the combos I have made has been unpleasant.:D

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the replies folks, dont want to waste the last of the damsons. :eek:

So i gather i just wash the fruit and just stuff them in the neck of the bottle whole?
Also what proportion of the bottle should be fruit as opposed to gin? do i simply pour out half the gin and keep stuffing them in?
or should i just stop asking questions and get on with it?:D

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for the replies folks, dont want to waste the last of the damsons. :eek:

So i gather i just wash the fruit and just stuff them in the neck of the bottle whole?
Also what proportion of the bottle should be fruit as opposed to gin? do i simply pour out half the gin and keep stuffing them in?
or should i just stop asking questions and get on with it?:D

Wide necked jam jar will save squeezing through neck of bottle.
1 fill with damsons
2 fill spaces between damsons with sugar shaking down to fill spaces. I like mine a bit sharp so probably fill all gaps two thirds of way up but folk that like sweet liquer would fill to top.
3 fill with spirit to cover damsons.
4 leave till Christmas, this christmas or next christmas if you forget it does not matter.
4 decant through sieve into bowl. Pour gin into bottles and eat damsons on ice cream or on meusli for breakfast:D , they will keep in fridge for a week or so if you have lots, the gin will keep indefinitely.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
As has been said ive tried with most spirits (except whisky) and all are nice, but gin does seem to be the ticket, with the sugar definately go for less, you can add more again as has ben said.

One thing that wasnt mentioned is that when you take the liqour off and spereate the fruit from it, you will end up with some slightly sludgy bits after it has settled. Theres nothing wrong with these and they taste good but i rack the liqour and make the trifle base with this. Also use some of the damson for the mincemeat for mince pies so easy and really good.
I mainly make these things up as i go so sorry no recipie i took an edwardian/Victorian one and substituted some of the raisen and cherry for the damson, but if memory serves it was Chopped raisens, dates & damson a little apple and brown sugar, cloves, orange peel and cinamon, little water to moisten then boil softly until it goes like mincemeat - might have used port not water..?

Was good and lasted preserved for a considerable period.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Or............take the gin soaked fruit, dip in melted chocolate and there you have it- proper chocolate liquers, beats the shop bought hands down. We did some last year to give as gifts, my wife insisted we keep most of them- they did not last !

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ohh yeah the chockolate sound good. Planning to do that with the cherries from the morello brandy, drooooll!
Strange usually i can take or leave chock but put a bit of boozy fruit in it and something changes - id go for a high coco dark one, god im hungry now....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE