Damaged Mora knife

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I used my spangley new Mora knife to prepare some pheasants yesterday, and when leaning on the knife to go through the leg bone / sinew of the bird, i managed to crease / dent the fine knife edge! Well annoyed!

Is this normal? Could it be a dud blade? I thought they were meant to be tougher than this? Should of used a cleaver i know but was dieing to try it out. Can it be re-sharpended?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'd try very carefully straightening the roll out of the edge on a smooth, hard piece of steel, maybe the shank of a screwdriver or similar, before re sharpening. Its worth reading some of Old Jimbos finding on knife edge quality and what to do about it.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/

Edit to add a better link - http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/cks.html

I have found he is quitre right in that you often need to sharpen a new knife quite a bit to get the best from a blade.

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Theres a good trick to breaking through small animal bones using a knife.
Support the weight of the animal by the limb you want to break, hold it by the next joint along the limb and hold the bone horizontal - it puts stress on the bone!
At the point you want to sever it, hit it sharply with the spine of your blade.
This should be enough to crack through the bone and the induced stress should break it cleanly in two. Cleverly, nothing should hit the floor as the body will be supported by the tendons which can be cut with the edge of your blade without having to grind your delicate knife edge against hard bone and risk the damage that you have experienced;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Never felt the need to cut bone during butchering operations myself, run knife round skin just at top of scaly bit of leg, bend leg back till it snaps then pull in line with upper leg, this draws out the biggest sinews from the leg meat. Little boys love to pull the sinews and watch the foot close up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE