Dab radio for outdoors ?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve been on the lookout for a good radio for taking away with me ,Any recommendations peeps ?are wind up radios any good?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
DAB radios seem to eat battery power like nothing I've ever known; the best answer I've found for a travelling radio is an old HTC phone I got for a few quid, and a set of desperates. Packs tiny, battery lasts for ages and it works as an emergency phone with a PAYG Sim card in it, and the radio is really good sound quality................

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
DAB radios seem to eat battery power like nothing I've ever known; the best answer I've found for a travelling radio is an old HTC phone I got for a few quid, and a set of desperates. Packs tiny, battery lasts for ages and it works as an emergency phone with a PAYG Sim card in it, and the radio is really good sound quality................
I just read that there I never thought of that ,so I think dab might be out not unless I go for one like Jacko has just posted which looks like the ticket !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks ok, captive lithium battery seems to have overcome the power problem, and not too dear, either.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
If you are on the 'Three' network there is no extra charge for data, i.e. it's all you can eat, plus 4G is no free. Bear in mind though that I do work for Three so I'm not exactly unbiased. Mods ahoy!:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you are on the 'Three' network there is no extra charge for data, i.e. it's all you can eat, plus 4G is no free. Bear in mind though that I do work for Three so I'm not exactly unbiased. Mods ahoy!:)

See if you can get your bosses to hoik some of that mythical 4G down here to the Wye Valley :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Another thought is there one i could play my ipod through??

I've got a Pure Move. In honesty I haven't used it a great deal as I haven't got out as much as I'd have liked recently, so I can't comment in how long the rechargeable lithium battery lasts, but it has aux in, headphone out, and USB out.

It's pretty funky, just powered it up after probably 2 years and the battery shows as full. Mine was a gift though, they're quite pricy. I think if you're going to follow the entire Ashes or whatever it's a good buy, if it's just for a bit of entertainment while camping then it's probably out of budget.

Not my hand, my nails are bitten and I burnt my thumb quite badly on the firebowl last night ;)

imagejpg1_zps3b26b7b0.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
A good roundup of the pros and cons of DAB and battery life. I hear good things from customers about Roberts and Pure portables, but until the new chips come along, they are still going to use more juice than FM. The mobile route is not a bad one. If you can get a decent deal on data, mobiles are pretty frugal on both battery power and data for radio streaming. Of course you need to get a decent signal..

If not, there is always FM, and they are pretty cheap!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
DAB is brilliant on the mains or close to a recharge point - rubbish if you have to "carry" your power. However all non DAB will eventually be removed for your personal convenience citizen - same as it was for TV.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A good roundup of the pros and cons of DAB and battery life. I hear good things from customers about Roberts and Pure portables, but until the new chips come along, they are still going to use more juice than FM. The mobile route is not a bad one. If you can get a decent deal on data, mobiles are pretty frugal on both battery power and data for radio streaming. Of course you need to get a decent signal..

If not, there is always FM, and they are pretty cheap!

The "old" phone I use is a 5yr old HTC which has an FM radio on it, and runs on a free PAYG sim card; I use the radio for weather f'casts and anything I really don't want to miss on R4 and won't be home or near the car.

The phone battery lasts for days of use with the radio, and with a tenner top-up fits the bill as an emergency 'phone.............No good to the OP, but maybe useful to somebody reading this. The best thing, I had the 'phone for next to nothing from somebody upgrading!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
DAB is brilliant on the mains or close to a recharge point - rubbish if you have to "carry" your power. However all non DAB will eventually be removed for your personal convenience citizen - same as it was for TV.

Thankfully if and when that day arrives I'll still have the joy of short wave :) So long as I can receive (for mainstream listening) Radio 2 + 4 I'm happy regardless of source :)

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Asda doing a cheap no-name Dab/FM radio at the mo for £20. Its surprisingly good. Solid feel to it, no silly features, basic layout, reception is excellent on DAB and FM and for £20 you really can't grumble. I'm an FM fan, hate DAB and its battery eating ways, but love 6music so no choice really. I have yet to test battery life on DAB on this radio - might do a test and leave it running for a day to see how it fares.

Here's a link: http://direct.asda.com/ASDA---DAB-p...eneric&cm_mmc=ad-aff-_-awin-_-Skimbit-_-78888

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND

so would it be no good out in the sticks Red?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find it absolutely eats batteries Gill - I have two tiny radios I carry out in the sticks - neither is digital for that reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE