Cycles within Cycles, wheels within wheels...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've seen and read about shorter and longer term cycles or repeatable patterns within both History ( Fourth turning theory ) and various theories relating to Financial boom / bust cycles.

I think last year was a VERY good year for Acorns and the year before that was a very good year for an overall increase in Vermin population. IIRC.

So , what other Natural / Wild cycles are there that i'm not aware of?

Do Snakes have cycles of population growth and decrease? What about other trees? Plants ?/ Snails?? etc etc .

Just interested if people can share their own or semi-proven theories.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The silver birches along the back lane buried us in an absolute drift of seeds last year. They were everywhere. From the windowsills to the washing, from our hair to windblown piles in every nook and cranny, every place we looked, there were those wee seeds.
Since Spring I must have weeded out a thousand seedlings from every planter and space between slabs; they were coming up by the handful.
This year there are almost none. I've lived in this house for over thirty years now. They've done that for as long as I have lived here.

The beech trees behind the wall beside the castle policies covered the path three years ago. They dropped so heavily, and were tramped upon, that the path became an oily slippy mess.
We call a year like that a Mast Year. Last year there were very few nuts, this year won't be heavy either. It's usually five years before there's a real mast year again.
They've done that all my life. I've been eating those nuts since I was a little girl. The trees are on the path we walked going from one Granny's house to the other.

The acorns do the same kind of thing, so do the sycamores, ashes and the wych elms.

It's been a brilliant fruiting year here this time around. Folks used to say that was a sign of a cold Winter. My Dad said it was a sign of a good Spring too :)
I know my apple tree is bent under the weight of ripening fruit, and I have thinned the fruits on it earlier in the year.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The question may be, are the cycles natural, when I was at school, many many years ago, we learnt about trade winds, and how they controlled the weather patterns etc, we learnt about farming, fallow fields, laybacks etc, and everything seemed to be organised , now we have acres and acres filled with solar panels, and hundreds and thousands of wind turbines, do these have an effect on the natural winds and either weaken them or take them off their normal paths, do solar panels reflect heat up, only to come back down as a second heat source.

Radio waves themselves do not get hot, but they will get hot once they are absorbed, this is how a microwave works, with the amount of radio waves from mobile phones, the internet etc are we now living in a microwave?

Once the environment is changed then the flora and fauna, and humans, will respond to it, and for some it will be a good change, for others a bad change, some will flourish some will die, and because the Earth is in a state of flux some species will be lost and new ones will come along, thats the way it has always been. many of the wildest winds , which are cyclical have names dating back centuries, The Mistral, El Nino etc.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have had cycles of positive lifechanging activity on my 10th year birthdays (i.e. 10, 20, 30 etc) - I know that sounds absurd and I know it's not what you're after, but I just find it a bit weird :)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have had cycles of positive lifechanging activity on my 10th year birthdays (i.e. 10, 20, 30 etc) - I know that sounds absurd and I know it's not what you're after, but I just find it a bit weird :)

Who said its not what I'm after?? :)

Please don't ever assume the weirdness of my curiosity.

Reactions: Broch

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Many apple varieties have an on year and off year. The off year can range from less fruit to no fruit at all. Other fruit trees in the same family (rosaceae) may display a flip flop between heavier and lighter crops but I've not noticed them being quite as dramatic or regular as apples.

Reactions: TeeDee

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Cycles? I as a pattern hunter consider spirals as opposed to cycles for through my own observation of re-occurring events I can see similarities but not exactly the same, for myself to consider just about every ancient civilisation also noticed these spirals of life, to depict spirals in their art work. In addition the natural world is full of spirals of various forms

History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes ~ Mark Twain

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cycles? I as a pattern hunter consider spirals as opposed to cycles for through my own observation of re-occurring events I can see similarities but not exactly the same, for myself to consider just about every ancient civilisation also noticed these spirals of life, to depict spirals in their art work. In addition the natural world is full of spirals of various forms

History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes ~ Mark Twain

Examples would have been beneficial.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Examples would have been beneficial.
Then try this, for example ;

Boy, observe this stuff and your next bushcrafting adventure may never be the same as you start to observe the patterns around you, the mathematical patterns.

But with reference to Broch, I too have observed a personal major shift roughly every ten years, to even be able to ' feel ' it coming. But way back when I was in the mob I became interested in the pseudo science of biorhythms after noticing personal subtle shifts to form re-occurring patterns within myself over the space of days and weeks, to have mapped them. And I tested the 'science' through finding myself in such a situation where I was invited to specify a date and time when I would be available to sit an exam I needed to pass. To there consult my biorythms to find the peak of my intellectual cycle to sit the exam to surprise a lot of people including myself with my performance, for I was prior to that exam, considered the class dunce and not only did I score 98% but was commended for finding an error in the questioning to have worked out solutions for two different situations. To have learned from my observation and use of biorythms that a lot of the problems I have had was due to being simply out of sync with the demands placed upon me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE