cycle camp

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
nobby said:

a design that shows the beauty of simplicity - you could even have it with air-suspension: if you mount low inflated big fat tires like Schwalbe Big Apple. Those tires do not increase rolling resistance.

Unfortunately I´m one of those who ride a bike fast where a 2wheeler would tipp
and I ride my bike on single trails where a 2wheeler would not fit the road.
For me it was out of question to get a YAK - it´s on duty since 2001 and still going strong. I don´t have a car.

Yes, there are lots (hundreds to be precise) of trailers, one & two wheelers of all sorts - unfortunately the BoB COZmopolitan is no longer available. Maybe the coming Volcanic will fill that gap.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
havingagiraffe said:
The hitches seen on the other trailers look needlessly complex and heavy, although the ones which pivot behind the wheel rather than at the centre of the wheel do allow equal turning in both directions.

I´d say it depends on what you want and what you transport. I wouldn´t for sure transport my most valuable stuff (aka kids) in a trailer with an unreliable hitch.
Center pull hitches (which pivot behind the wheel) are useful only for single wheel trailers behind hard tail (unsuspended rear wheel) bikes.
On suspended bikes you got to get the OK from the bike manufacturer since the trailer may overstress swingarm and/or swingarm pivot.
On 2wheelers a center pull hitch makes the trailer very nervous due to the short wheelbase (hitch pivot to trailer axle).

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I commute by bike everyday, and go mountainbiking most weekends so when I bushcraft I tend to walk as it's nice to have a day off the bike. Plus when I'm on the bike I tend to want to travel light and fast (sub 20lb mountainbike). If I'm walking I'm happy to amble along and enjoy the scenery rather than the trail. Also I'd hate to leave my bike unsecured if I was mooching about the woods.
I do tend to sling some bushcrafty stuff in my camelbak when I'm riding though. Knife, FAC, tinder pouch and a folding saw.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
havingagiraffe said:
2nizf37.jpg

I think my sister's trailer has simplest hitch -

BTW, all trailer manufacturers (BikesAtWork, Burley, Chariot, Weber etc.) sell hitches and tow bars as spare parts - just in case you want to upgrade.
A child trailer is easy to convert into a cargo trailer: take away that air-braking fabric and install a box made from water resistant plywood or sheet metall (galvanized steel, aluminum). Make the center of gravity as low as possible.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
no, you don´t need a welder.
Other methods of joining metal are nuts & bolts, clamps, rivets ....

inspiration, imagination, transpiration, satisfaction :)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
cyclist said:
BTW, all trailer manufacturers (BikesAtWork, Burley, Chariot, Weber etc.) sell hitches and tow bars as spare parts - just in case you want to upgrade.
A child trailer is easy to convert into a cargo trailer: take away that air-braking fabric and install a box made from water resistant plywood or sheet metall (galvanized steel, aluminum). Make the center of gravity as low as possible.

this one doesn´t need welding http://canarlake.org/index.cgi?theme=cariole

the second version shows a multiple container system - if the supporting strips of wood are mounted high on the container it sit low in the chassis and will give are very nice towing characteristic due to its low center of gravity. Mind the nesseasary ground clearance

www.bikesatwork.com shows what´s possible

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
cyclist said:
this one doesn´t need welding http://canarlake.org/index.cgi?theme=cariole

www.bikesatwork.com shows what´s possible

I've just taken a look at this and if the four main pieces are wood it shows the outer metal strips held to the timber by screws into the end grain. That won't last very long.
It woul be better using angle iron, but heavier, o that you can screw into the side of the wood.
I may have misunderstood this because I can't read the writing :0)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
I´d say it depends on quality & dimensions of wood, screws etc. you´re using - predrilled and some water proof wood glue also helps. It also depends on how & what you´re going to transport with it.

If those outer flat steel parts (Profilé plat acier) are bend around the wooden frame menbers one could use bolts & nuts

my idea was just to post a drawing on how to fabricate a container to goes into an existing kids trailer. There are lots of DIY trailer plans on the net....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE