Cutting tool review (Picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thought I would put together a bit of a review of some different cutting tools, some common, some not so! (Some of you may recognise your old knives!)

All.jpg

Any how the candidates are;

Granny B Small Forest Axe
Cold Steel Bushman
Shrade X Timer
Frost Mora
Paul Baker (Not sure of model)
Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife
Frost Utility Knife

I performed a simple set of tasks with each knife these included, shaving a feather stick, stricking a fire steel on the back edge, and batoning them into a log with a single blow.

Here are the results from each knife

Granny B SFA

Creates Curles easily though has a tendancy to slice them off the wood

GBB.jpg

There are no edges on the axe that would produce sparkes with a fire steel as they are all rounded, though it would not be to difficult to file an edge to produce good sparks.

GBBB.jpg

I did not use a batton on this as the weight of the axe head would absorbed most of the blow so I lighty struck the block. All of the cutting edge plus an extra few mm where driven into the block.

GBW.jpg

Cold Steel "Bushman"

The heavily concaved edge is difficult to get good curles from, though with a little practice this is not to much of a problem

CSB.jpg

The spine of the knife is coated with a hard black finnish, this prevented the knife throwing any sparks, thogh with a file to remove a small area of the coving there should be no difficulty getting sparks from the back of the knife as it is quite square

CSBB.jpg

The knifes felt robust when battoned and was driven into the block for the whole depth of the concave edge. though the thin nature of the blade makes it poor for splitting

CSBW.jpg

Shrade X Timer

Curles where not easy with this blade though it was shaving sharp it was difficult to maintain an angle to shave good curles, this may be due to the curved nature of the blade

SX.jpg

The back edge of this blade though squared off nicely is again coated in a black finnish and as such there was nowhere to strike a fire steel. the serrations on the back of the blade also limit the possibilitys for places to strike the fire steel

SXB.jpg

The blade did not punch particularly well into the wood, this may be due to the curve in the blade but also becuase you have to strike the blade closer to the tip then I would like due to the serrations hear the handle

SXW.jpg

Frost Mora

The Razor Scandi Grind out of the box on the Mora allowed it to shave feathers easily! you can eaisly achieve paper thin curles with little effort.

FM.jpg

Out of the box this Mora did not strick sparks as the back of the blade is poorly finnished however as this knife is commonly used by me the back has been filed up and now sheds showers of sparks with little effort!

FMB.jpg

The Mora battoned into the wood easily with the cutting edge plus a feww extra mm being buried into the block

FMW.jpg

Paul Baker

The Paul Baker produced fine curles on this test however it was not sharp when I got it nor was it satisfactorily sharp after it was re-sharpened by the maker. "Longstrider" re sharpened and profiled the edge on this knife and it is now a much more usable tool

PB.jpg

The back edge of this knife is sharp and produces a monster shower of sparks

PBB.jpg

The Paul baker is a robust knife and was driven into the wood past the cutting edge by a few mm this knife has the feel that it could be battoned all day!

PBW.jpg

Cold Steel Canadian Belk knife

This knife was razor sharp out of the box and with a little use shaved feathers quite well though it was tricky to maintain the correct angle!

CSC.jpg

The back of this knife is poorly finnished and as such would not produce a shower of sparks

CSCB.jpg

The knife was driven into th ewood up the the cutting edge, but the flimsy handle felt prone to breackage with this kind of use.

CSCW.jpg

Frost Utility Knife

Out of the box this knife will produce curles as well as the Mora or the Paul baker and was razor sharp to boot!

FU.jpg

The spine of the knife is finnished poorly and would not produce sparks, though with a file up this could be rectified.

FUB.jpg

again the blade was easily driven into the wood up to the cutting edge. this knife felt as good as the Mora and I actually prefered the handle over the mora!

FUW.jpg

I will leave you to draw your own conclusions on how each knife performed!

Please ask any questions you like!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
LOL - well i only paid a tenner for the Mora so fairly happy !

( and i have my 4.99 Lidl Axe if i need the heavier touch ! )

The mora is a little less obtrusive looking, but the Utility is only about £4 from axminster!

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Mora's are really cheap. especially if you consider that I can buy them at half the price :D
My most expensice frost knife was €5

Very nice review. The only knives I would have bought were the Paul Baker, Grohman and the mora's. That's because I hate hollow grinds and coatings.

EDIT: I just ordered a stainless clipper and a Frosts mora SWAK (both stainless) :D

Michiel

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The Cold Steel knife might not baton as well but it will produce sparks (not many though) if you really must use a knife to spark a ferro rod. I can get a reasonable number by putting the rod in one of the thumb grooves. Using the cutting edge makes a real torrent of sparks but it does roughen up the cutting edge slightly. Personally I've never seen why making sparks with a knife is important when the ferro rod has a purpose made striker.
It is also an awful lot better in the kitchen than a straight knife - i.e. a Mora. The curve means you can use it on a chopping board and it will peel and slice quite happily.
It is one of my favourite knives and although not as good as a mora at carving wood it still gets within 1% of it. It is just way better at all the other chores I've tried it on at home and it is my No.1 kitchen knife.
If it came in carbon steel with a full length tang I would probably be knee deep in them:lmao:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The Cold Steel knife might not baton as well but it will produce sparks (not many though) if you really must use a knife to spark a ferro rod. I can get a reasonable number by putting the rod in one of the thumb grooves. Using the cutting edge makes a real torrent of sparks but it does roughen up the cutting edge slightly. Personally I've never seen why making sparks with a knife is important when the ferro rod has a purpose made striker.
It is also an awful lot better in the kitchen than a straight knife - i.e. a Mora. The curve means you can use it on a chopping board and it will peel and slice quite happily.
It is one of my favourite knives and although not as good as a mora at carving wood it still gets within 1% of it. It is just way better at all the other chores I've tried it on at home and it is my No.1 kitchen knife.
If it came in carbon steel with a full length tang I would probably be knee deep in them:lmao:

Good points!

I am learning to use this knife to better effect all the time!. the flimsy feel of the handle ia a little off putting but as yet it has not let me down!

I would think striking a ferro rod through one of the finger groves would eat the rod fairly fast! and to me striking on the edge is a big "No No"

I intend to square the back off at the W/E and I am sure this will give good results!

I would also guess that this will be a very good skinning knife and would imagine it is good in the kitchen at home, but then again I use a kitchen knife for that;) :240:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE