Cut logs for sitting on - request for primary school.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm probably being cheeky here but does anyone know somewhere in north Lancashire area who could offer a local primary school some cut logs to use as seats? There's a teacher trying to set up a forestry class / outdoor class.

Reactions: zornt

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I can't help directly because I don't live in the area, but have you tried contacting local timber yards, Forestry Commission, other felling services, etc?
They may be happy to help.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I contacted a local tree surgeon when my wife needed rounds for cake stands- happy to oblige as would only go into the chipper

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Where in Lancashire are you Paul? I could probably sort these for free as long as you can pick up from Preston or if you are not too far I'll deliver.

Just a thought, how big is the class?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Where in Lancashire are you Paul? I could probably sort these for free as long as you can pick up from Preston or if you are not too far I'll deliver.

Just a thought, how big is the class?
Just north of Lancaster. I can pick up from Preston. The class is about 28 with teacher and teaching assistant. It's a big ask so I appreciate any suitable logs you can offer.

There's a teacher who is partly trained in forestry school teaching. She's been told by the head that she can set up a seating area / teaching area. They've got a playing field that extends further, down a slope towards the steel fence between it and a canal towpath. There's patches of trees and shrubs. Also a loop of young, planted whips about 1m high. It's not a bad little area for kids to learn about the outdoors.

Today my partner was helping out and the kids in her little group found loads of tiny snails among other things. Kids have no squeamish ness about picking things up. Woodhouse, snails or spiders. I think it's great what they do. I still remember our classes where we were allowed into the playing field to find nature. One day the big attraction was a dead hedgehog. You know what young boys are like.

Anyway, any help will be most welcome. There's a lot of kids who will get their only contact with nature through the school. It's a shame but at least the school is doing something. I'm DBS checked so plan to help out if in able to. Worth it, they're good kids, year 1 and 2 but other years will benefit from this too. A small school, small budget but it's a strong community. A generational school where there's quite a few kids who are third or fourth generation at the school.

Reactions: Toddy

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Hi Paul.
I may not be able to source all 28 but I'll have a go. I went out tonight to collect my firewood for next winter so have put these aside. I have cut approx. half the tree these came from so could probably supply the same again (at a guess). The wood is Ash. As long as there is another felled tree of similar diameter I'll cut some more.
I started at the base of the trunk so future cuts will be slightly narrower. I'm hoping the height and width are adequate for the kids, if not I can trim the height with my chainsaw. Let me know what you want to do about delivery / collection, maybe even meet half way?
Please see pics, nine logs in total (one not pictured), I left it in the boot of the car :)

IMG_6922[1].JPG

IMG_6923[1].JPG

IMG_6925[1].JPG

IMG_6926[1].JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE