Cuppa?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long story; basically I read bcuk when I sit down at the computer to write or to clear e-mail and my constant companion (the moggie apart :rolleyes: ) is a cuppa....tea (about 50 varieties at present), coffee, hot chocolate, vecon,....you get the idea.... I was looking for a supplier for beremeal though and I tripped across this site
http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/1992/holidays_in_slickly.htm
and thought about the smells that are my triggers. There are those wonderful ones that tell you Spring's here or, "I can smell Autumn", or oatcakes toasting or the smell of dumpling boiling or my Gran's rosewater or the smell from woodshavings that is always so evocative of my father. Heather in bloom in sunshine, brambles in late summer, they even smell juicy :) , woodsmoke on a crisp, cold, still morning....and I thought about how we undervalue and under-use our sense of smell. You can smell pheasants cooried down in a field for the night (well, when there's a lot of them you can) smell where the fox has been, where a deer has lain, where the tomcat has sprainted :yikes:
Do you use your sense of smell when you are out? or are we so deadened with petrol fumes and air fresheners (sic!) that we've killed one of our greatest delights?

Oh and the cup of tea bit? Well, I was also looking for arrowroot, and I came across another site, all about that great British duo, the cuppa and a biscuit.... :) http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=42
So; bushcraft biscuits.....recommendations please? and things like snickers don't count.

Cheers,
Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I paid about £11 for 1640 pyramid bags last time I was at the cash and carry, so I filled the cupboards! I take them to Spain when I go and 'supply' friends and family. The profits mean I get mine free!
Anyway, due to my job I have very little sense of smell. The formaldehyde burns away the smell receptors, but after about 6 weeks of not embalming the sense does return though it will never be the same i reckon. This is a blessing at work though, as you can imagine. They say that when I leave the embalming room, then it must REALLY smell!!!

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
:) a pot of strong tea ,assam or english breakfast,with very slighty burnt toast ,on a wet morning,when you feeling a bit under the weather.you can keep your aromatherapy, this does it for me.

I cannot abide tea made with a teabag in a cup,complete with milk and sugar in it ,before a slug of warmish water is added to it. nothing short of an abomination and transgressors should meet with swift and merciless punishment. :)

biccy wise-jaffas(at least a packet per greedy b*****d) or oatcakes with cheese or honey or sardines or tuna or thick with butter.

tea made in a can on a fire-smokey and much hotter than at home

its all a taste/smell/memory kinda thing isnt it?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Did you get your Beremeal?. We bought some excellent beremeal from the mill in Orkney. It tasted delicious probably because we were on holiday during the two days of Orkney Summer (well it seemed like that)!.
Nick P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh, Grassroots in Glasgow carry it :) I took a notion for bannocks and couldn't be bothered cleaning out the coffee grinder to grind down barley (I never quite manage to get rid of the coffee smell ) and was feeling too lazy to haul out the old hand grinder.....
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE