Cuckoo Pint aka Lords and Ladies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
This lovely looking plant is all over the woods at the moment, I know its toxic but does anyone know of any uses for this plant at all?

I found a load of very young Cuckoo Pint leaves the other day, that looked a bit similar to young wild garlic shoots (and was also growing about 20 feet from proper wild garlic...!), just goes to show you have got to be super careful when gathering spring greens.

Jimbob

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
You can produce a flour from the corms. They're located about 4 inches below the surface usually. You have to remove the root hairs and all traces of the stalk and then peel and clean them, then grate them into a bowl of water and keep changing the water over the course of several hours. Then you need to dry the starch in an oven and pulverise it into a fine flour. It's a lot of effort and I consider the process not to be worth it! There's a good article on the net which explains the process in detail - http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/arum.htm . I don't know of any other uses for the plant!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It used to be used in the laundry, and the prepared starch was used like arrowroot, it was called Portland sago iimc. Supposedly good agin ringworm, but the fresh root juices will blister skin so definitely contra indicated nowadays.

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On the toxicity, The Big lebowski chewed some last year by mistake. Said his mouth was numb for about 40 minutes afterwards.

One to avoid in my opinion.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Good old fashioned zinc and castor oil cream always worked for me, just enough to stop the sweat moistening the skin, and relieve the itch. A sight more comfortable than killing the skin along with the infection.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Coal tar shampoo; the real stuff that you can't get nowadays I'm told, rub it on thickly, put on cotton gloves or a bandage and sleep with it like that. Next morning wash it off and the beasties will be dead.
Tea tree oil, used the same way, is apparantly effective too.

Zinc oxide brings me out in a wet, itchy rash :sigh:

I never actually gave a thought to why these things all worked.....does the zinc/oil suffocate the ringworm ? I think the teatree and coaltar literally poisons it, and what does the cuckoopint actually do that causes the skin to blister?

Reading required methinks :D

M

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
It could be suffocation. In my experience ring-worm forms in dimples that can be well aired, and athletes foot where the skin folds. Yuck!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry bushcraftbob :eek: we've taken your thread totally off topic.

I've been very fortunate and never succumbed to either ringworm or AF, but a lot of the children I went to school with seemed to have one or t'other on a pretty permanent basis :sigh:

I still cringe when I see a kid scratching at the base of their hairline at the neck :(

You don't smell 'medicated' on people nowadays :) No coaltar, no friar's balsam, no camphor, etc.,

cheers,
M

Here's a potential disaster waiting to happen.

IMG_20120304_170551.jpg

Red Campion also looks a bit like Sorrel too, but that very distinctly lack the split at the base of the leaf.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE