Cuben fiber, titanium, dynema, hydrophobic down, gore tex and dehydrated meals.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Before you spend another 100 quid to shave off 20 grams of your "base weight" check this out:
http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/_retro_outdoor_gear&page=all

I'm "old" enough (30) to remember my parents take me on holiday hikes with external aluminium frame back pack and primus copy "brick" stove.
I'm actually from poland and 80ties where the last moments of the soviet union so we didn't had access to "modern" kit. Everything was canvas and self made or military surplus.

This website takes me "back". Can you imagine (or remember) the kit chatter back then? "This stove is half a kilo lighter"... Geez they didn't had the internet and forums... It was clubs and societies :)

How do you remember those days.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Looks a bit recent.

image2980.jpg

More here http://www.inov8.au.com/compass/

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire

Some blasts from the past in amongst that lot - A lot of gear I used to sell when I worked in a climbing shop at school, and a lot I bought with the money! I still have an old Berghaus AB65 rucksack in the barn with a Mountain Equipment Cerro Torre duvet, a knackered pair of Raichle Avanti plastic hardshell boots, some Rohan stuff and various old bits and bobs. The ads also remind me of a lot of nights spent in an Ultimate Phazor dome tent and my then girlfriend's Peapod - good times!
They've also raised some dim memories of stuff I'd almost forgotten about - in particular a range of carry and protection bags and pouches which I'm almost sure were called "Baggins", made for stoves, bottles and cameras. If I'm right they must have gone to the wall years ago, and the LOTR film bonanza would have wiped out any rights to use the name again LOL

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Does give a persoective. I'm currently salivating over a siltarp (which I will purchase tomorrow-payday), 3-4 years from now it will probably get flogged for whatever without a blink, just to finance a new super hyper extra space age material tarp...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Way before my time

My earliest memories are of a blue nylon Karrimor external framed pack with evil metal hooks on the waist belt which always ripped holes in my t-shirt. Bulldog billy cans and a Bluet gas stove, 4 man Lichfield Combat tent with cotton inner, a good 15kg when it stayed dry.

I'll stick with the cuben and sil thanks :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I well remember the Poles in the alps in the early 80's, they may have had home made kit but then they also had lots of titanium goodies

Do you remember the scary titanium pressure cookers they had? Also referred to as bombs for good reason. Thrilling meals.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Do you remember the scary titanium pressure cookers they had? Also referred to as bombs for good reason. Thrilling meals.

Aye, bivvi bombs they were fondly known as, if I recall. Titanium ice screws were the must have item for the hip western climber with a few quid, I was neither hip or wealthy enough :D

I lost my first tent to a petrol stove in that era, a quality western branded stove though, but in the hands of an eegit :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Monte, the fella from the original link is a bit of a character and was very active in the 'stovie' world a few years ago. I own or have owned a lot of the stoves in that link.

All of these types are used by me, they work so well :)

1035002-001.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Does anyone have any info on the Trangia 15-1, my parents are clearing out their loft and found one which must have been left by the last owners of the place:) because I cant recall having one and my parents think camping is silly.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Aaah memories, memories...

I've still got my Svea 123 - it gets used in the kitchen when I need some Saturn V exhaust heat for stir frying! And I'm still a canvas/ stainless steel/ natural fibres type although here in France we've started to walk longer and longer distances and age is starting to tell...

Time to re-look at the ultralite market again (sigh!)...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I love the durability, look, feel and overall pleasure of owning and using old heavy kit. My canvas tentipi was the nicest tent I have ever owned and you can't beat the quiet of a canvas tarp... but I really like ultralight kit too.

I have such an odd mix of kit that I use, it's weird. I have a 5KG rucksack... and tiny wee ultralight gas stove, I use a fishing sleeping bag in the winter because it's huge, comfy and warm... and titanium tent pegs on my tent. I'd love to get a full set of both but I have not the room or budget for it. Shame.

Nice links by the way... Some people have WAY too much kit :p

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Have to agree, I have a big mix of kit an rarely end up far enough in the wilds to really need ultralight but I have loads. Even when I do end up in the wilds carry to much kit because i like my comforts and rewards when I get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
You might slowly start to sell your kit. 5 to 10 years from now everything will be absolutely stone age. We have another industrial revolution coming.
Google or YouTube "graphen".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE