CRUX Backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
Hi.

I'd like to present the CRUX AK range backpacks.. Because, well, I think they are worth to look at.

I own an AK70 and two AK47 (one is my GF's backpack).

181850650_4291074517569765_5027629481012518377_n.jpg

(picture from my instagram)

Pros:
- quite light weight (1200g the size 3 AK47)
- forest proof: you will have no concerns about branches, brambles, abrasion on the rocks...
- 100% waterproof. It means you won't need an extra poncho. Just a waterproof jacket. And yes, you can swim / cross a river with it. The fabric wont absorb moisture and therefore won't be a burden when wet.
- comfortable if loaded below 12Kg
- can carry a mat vertically (with a little customisation) : streamlined profile for easier off trail thick forest/brushes hikes.
- top pocket is quite generous

Cons:
- expensive
- some people will say "it's not bushcraft". Well It's okay for me if they think that.
- the fabric of the pack is bombproof, but not the "backrest" foam. I accidentally put my backpack on the rear of a truck "face upside down". It slipped in the turns and abrased the fabric over the foam... This fabric is still "okay" for a normal use... Just beware when the pack is not on your shoulders.
- while the company is UK based and the fabric is spanish, the pack is made in China... A country that is not "social rights" friendly (I have absolutely nothing against Chinese friends and amazing culture, just... I can't stand authoritarism, modern slavery, and mass surveying.)
- there is a bright red handle on the back that I find extremely ugly and out of context. I put leather over it, but still...
- the Ak70 and 57 does not exist in olive green (and the green shown is not really a cool "muted military green")
- the side pockets can't hold mineral water 1L bottles. Wich is really, really, really a shame.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Some interesting observations - thank you. How do they carry? Are they comfortable when fully loaded? I know that they are primarily designed for the climbing market which can mean that some things are compromised there! Are there any means of attaching pockets/extra bits and pieces to the outside? How well to they carry with a partial load in them?

Sorry to barrage you with questions but I'd be interested to hear your findings!

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
@Tiley

The carrying sensation VS a Savotta L / Berghaus Vulcan is quite different. The Crux are very close to your spine and with a higher gravity center than the military ones. You are nimbler, but also prone to rock if your pack is loaded "top heavy" (wich is usually wrong but totally doable on a permissive military backpack).

It took me some time to get used to it (I used a berghaus 80L for decades...)

The AK47 is comfortable fully loaded (12Kg max). The AK70 is VERY confortable with a 15Kg load, thanx to the well constructed hip belt (it's a fancy "2 straps per side" system that mold your hips very well).

The AK70 gave me a lot of trouble because it is a "high" pack and one should avoid putting too much weight on the top (wich I did and I realized my mistake later).

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I have an AK37. It was my favourite bag for lightweight overnights when camping and backpacking. It carried ‘alpine’ style as @Urdasein said - close to spine and higher on the hips but it could be cinched in close. I carried 4 days of food and gear on a winter trip in the Jura many years ago and with a 12kg load it was fine. I recently dug mine out of the loft with a view to selling it but am keeping it because I’d forgotten what a great bag it was.

Reactions: Urdasein

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE