Crusader stove

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

A few weeks back I traded a few bits with whittler Kev for a bit of metalwork made up to my specification and had the chance to give it a test this weekend.

Essentially I wanted a flat pack self assembly stove to use with hexi/esbit (bit like a honey stove) but small enough to fit in the base of my crusader cup and not restrict the water bottle.

Kev made me up some interlocking panels of galvanised steel with a central platform that slots in securely for the fuel to sit on.
I also made up a similar one from 0.8mm aluminium just to see how a softer metal faired.

Both of them worked really well and was an average 8 mins to get to a rolling boil which is fine with me as I'm in no rush when I'm out having a wander or camping!
Even with both flat packed in the cup you would not know they were there and saved me some pack space as I usually take the crusader cook unit which adds about a quarter onto the overall size!

Both stoves were cool enough to touch and dismantle a few minutes after the fuel was extinguished.

Anyway enough of my waffle I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
1f4cb103-ac37-c747.jpg
1f4cb103-ac6a-0d3c.jpg
1f4cb103-ac93-93c6.jpg
1f4cb103-acd1-c169.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Doh Indeed! :eek:

Pics should be there now!

Edited my posting accordingly. Hadn't realised you'd only just that second posted it up. Apologies. No sarcasm intended.

I like that set up, sweet and simple. I can actually see a larger version of that replacing the legendary hobo stove aka Ikea sink strainer. Altough I am sure i've seen just such a thing here someplace as well as those production made.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Cheers Guys.

Sam, i actually got the idea after seeing your little spirit stove on our last bimble but wanted something super compact and that didnt need meths as im not a fan of it.

Cheers, Hamster

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Hi all,

(...)

Kev made me up some interlocking panels of galvanised steel with a central platform that slots in securely for the fuel to sit on.
I also made up a similar one from 0.8mm aluminium just to see how a softer metal faired.

(...)

Be very cautious when using galvanized material for applications where the material is subjected to heating. The fumes are quite dangerous.

Even small doses can lead to health issues. Further information on Wikipedia: Metal Fume Fever

//Kim Horsevad

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Cheers Guys.

Sam, i actually got the idea after seeing your little spirit stove on our last bimble but wanted something super compact and that didnt need meths as im not a fan of it.

Cheers, Hamster

nice one, it looks like it works really well, cant wait to see it next time we are out :)

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks for the warning horsevad, have had a check through the link and looks nasty!

Will definitely be ensuring its only used outdoors, well ventilated and far enough away that any fumes are dispersed before going near!

Sam, not 100% on my plans yet but if I can swing it are you free one afternoon this weekend? Think same place and if weathers bad we sling up a tarp!
Want to try out a few new bits and you will have to remind me to bring the RM this time!

Hamster

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks for the warning horsevad, have had a check through the link and looks nasty!

Will definitely be ensuring its only used outdoors, well ventilated and far enough away that any fumes are dispersed before going near!

Hamster

get it in a nice hot fire for a while and get rid of it mate, will save allot of faffing and be safer too...

great stove though, i like it, i also have a very small compact stove (wood stove but could use hexi or meths) flat packs and is stored in my pocket...:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
get it in a nice hot fire for a while and get rid of it mate, will save allot of faffing and be safer too...

great stove though, i like it, i also have a very small compact stove (wood stove but could use hexi or meths) flat packs and is stored in my pocket...:)

The Emberlit does pretty well at that too, particularly if you get the cross-brace. Mine's stainless, but they do a Ti version for the weakies:)
http://www.emberlit.com/default.php

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE