Crusader fuel

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Done a bit of testing myself, boiling 1 pint of water from cold, heres what I found ..... Trioxane...6 mins. Green heat gel.....17 mins. Meths in the tray without a burner......14 mins. Will get some hexy out the shed,

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I did the Monkyboy stove for mine and it worked a treat. Cant give you any times but nice and compact and reliable.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Thanks fellas, might have ago at making a beer can meths burner, it might fit if its small enough (no jokes please :) )

Phil, ello mate, yeah the trioxane does look good, i will try the hexy as well, got some issue stuff somewhere, i love the smell, brings back memories of bacon grill lol.

shovel reccy, thanks buddy, will probably invest in a load, i just wanna smell that hexy first :)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Drink can burners are ok but all the cans are made of steel now, all go rusty pretty quick. Maybe someone knows of ally ones (what are still ally) ferbreeze cans work well.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Drink can burners are ok but all the cans are made of steel now, all go rusty pretty quick. Maybe someone knows of ally ones (what are still ally) ferbreeze cans work well.

There are still a few ali cans about, best way I'd to use a magnet. Ali beer bottles are tougher and last longer than pop cans. Pound shop ali water bottles are good too.

touched by his noodly appendage

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Not used mine in a while, but could never get a boil by using the green heat, but have had plenty of success using Hexi blocks. Never timed a boil as I'm never in that much of a hurry for a cuppa

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Not a big fan of hexi blocks. Many a night I've been sat with hexi block in one hand, biscuit in the other, chatting away waiting for water to boil. They don't taste very good.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
They also look very much like Kendal mint cakes

Don't taste quite the same though :lmao:

I remember way back when I first got interested in the outdoors, the old lofty wiseman stuff along with combat and survival magazines. Made a tallow candle and tried to eat it..... Maybe hexi blocks aren't that bad.

:offtopic::offtopic:

Good old Hexi TV

I remember in Kenya one of the lads was eating some Kendle Mint Cake, all the local kids were on the other side of the fence begging for some, he dished out a few pieces but they all wanted it, so he told them to wait and came back with a pack of hexi he dished it out, we were in tears of laughter watching them trying to eat it, they couldn't understand why we liked it and a few of them liked it as well..

:offtopic::offtopic:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Crusader + fastest boil times = Oxymoron

To make matters worse, one of our own members helped design the 'cooker' (no, not me). ;)

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
I use hexi more or less daily in my crusader for brews while walking and fishing. I use the tatty plastic bcb lid. And takes about 5-6 minutes to boil with that.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Crusader + fastest boil times = Oxymoron

To make matters worse, one of our own members helped design the 'cooker' (no, not me). ;)
i know exactly what you mean, im just playing with old kit im finding in my shed, its not in there for nothing. To make you really cringe, its not even a crusader.........its the webtex version.... The warrior :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE