Crusader cup mk2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Also there is a pressed ridge in the base, I thought it would be tricky to clean or cause any food to stick/burn. I have stuck with my original all over the world, currently having a breakfast brew in it while in NZ.
3731f82ce5c4da8868adafc9b207dc16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Also there is a pressed ridge in the base, I thought it would be tricky to clean or cause any food to stick/burn. I have stuck with my original all over the world, currently having a breakfast brew in it while in NZ.
3731f82ce5c4da8868adafc9b207dc16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why didn't I think of that way to store my spoon? Genius.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Mk 2 is aluminium and I did read somewhere that one already managed to break it in civil use. Try that with the issued one!

Alu cups are nonsense. As long as the coffee is warm it will burn your lips.

Reactions: billycoen

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Soooo.. Here you go, a side by side comparison of mugs.

20221006_162729.JPG

From left to right, 58 Pattern plastic top mug, 85 Pattern PTFE coated, plastic rimmed top mug, stainless BCB Mk1 Crusader bottom mug, black non-stick coated Crusader Mk1 bottom mug and lastly the new BCB Aluminium Crusader Mk2 bottom mug.

As appears to be the herd opinion the Stainless Crusader Mk1 is the one to go for.

Mr personally? I agree. Plastic is awful to drink from, 85 is a pain to keep clean due to the removable lip, the black coated Crusader is pointless as it wears and chips and is difficult to ensure its clean in the dark. The alu Mk2 is dentable just using your hands and the heat transferring lip will burn your lip.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Got rid one mine by bending it with my hands could never do that with the mk1. Also remember with the mk2 keeping the handles away from the flames on a stove but still managing to burning my fingers taking it off the extinguished heat.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My working Crusader set up is the Mk1 mug in the Mk2 windshield with a Trangia burner in the fuel well (a perfect fit) with a home made alu lid ... very much my "go -to" stove set up ...... unless I need the mug for my filter coffee where I have adapted a home made lid to connect the filter to the mug and boil the water on the stove part in a billycan made from an old biscuit barrel!

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
How do these compare to one of the Titanium cups? I can get the Titanium cooking pots and mugs for a lot less than one of these cups so, I'm wondering what I'm missing. For those commenting about burned lips and such, the double wall Ti cups are awesome for coffee and tea!

I should note that earlier today, I bought a 750mL version with a French Press attachment for coffee! It will also double as a cooking pot.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't own the British army set but I know it of course. I think the point is that you get here equipment that's unbreakable in intended use. It's simply time tested equipment.

Your titanium set may look very good but a lot of civil equipment does it as well and breaks easily and pretty soon. If you buy China made civil equipment you never know how long it will last you.

It could be just a waste of money. It could become dangerous. If you buy army equipment you have a very high chance that it doesn't disappoint you, especially if you can get it factory new like in this case.

I rather think that the pot or mug isn't the critical piece. It's the nesting bottle that's usually less good shaped and the thing that could break.

The only serious competition to the British army bottle set is in my opinion the current French army set that's made by de Buyer in France. The US army bottle is outdated but nevertheless a third option.

Reactions: Larry Robinson

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I don't own the British army set but I know it of course. I think the point is that you get here equipment that's unbreakable in intended use. It's simply time tested equipment.

Your titanium set may look very good but a lot of civil equipment does it as well and breaks easily and pretty soon. If you buy China made civil equipment you never know how long it will last you.

It could be just a waste of money. It could become dangerous. If you buy army equipment you have a very high chance that it doesn't disappoint you, especially if you can get it factory new like in this case.

The Chinese Ti I have is a dead ringer for Snowpeak Ti which I have use for a long time. I would call this Chineseum crap because the tooling marks, seams, etc. are a dead ringer for Snowpeak equivalents. Since most Titanium comes from Russia and the manufacturing is in China, I feel these are just OEM versions of the Snowpeak versions.

I am curious about trying a curved cup and canteen on my belt for traveling light and, the fact my round stainless bottles really need a backpack or something else for carry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE