Crusader cookset alteration advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Hello folks,

I have one of the Crusader cooksets which has the small round tray at the bottom either for the gel or block fuel. I fancy being able to put a Trangia meths burner onto it as I just can't get on with the original two fuel sources.

The only trouble with this is that the cooking cup sits down on the meths burner so it's not going to work as is.

On the Swedish cookset the cooking pot is approximately 3¼” off the ground so I have to find a way to raise the Crusader up to that height.

Had anyone already done this or do you have any ideas for doing it?

Thanks,

Mark

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Most people going down that route make some sort of mini pop-can meths burner that fits better. There's a thread about mine here, but there's loads of others if you do a search... :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Make a new bail arm that sticks up a bit higher than the original when put in the cooking position. I shouldn't imagine it would take that long to make from an old wire coat hanger.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well look at it up side down use this stove like this or put a plate on the lower wire and a pop can stove will work. if its a open top side burner a can cover on top off stove still be side burner

Gailainne

Life Member
Something like this should work, stainless would be best, make 2 arms bottom end slots stay the same, however the middle slot make one up, one down so they fit together, the soltaire style cross is to miss the bail arm and the cut out

cross.jpg

When apart the should easily fit inside either the unit or the pouch.

Alternative using coathanger or similar is this

spring.jpg

Stephen

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Most people going down that route make some sort of mini pop-can meths burner that fits better. There's a thread about mine here, but there's loads of others if you do a search... :)

This is what I did if you use an alloy can it will not rust.
it works well, but might look at the other mods that have been mentioned as the fuel capacity on the trangia burner is better.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
On the Swedish cookset the cooking pot is approximately 3¼” off the ground so I have to find a way to raise the Crusader up to that height.

Had anyone already done this or do you have any ideas for doing it?

What about one of the collapsable triangular things, not a mini trangia but... forgotten. 'Warthog' made his own. I'll search for it.

Nick

EDIT- They are called click stands, diy them here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4039&highlight=clickstands

david1317

Feb 2, 2007
glasgow
i got 2 stands removed the arm from one cut a hole in the bottom of both to take tranga burrner turn one upside down sit the other stand on top the burner is now resesed to the right hight i had to use a dremle to cut the holes

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
This is what I did if you use an alloy can it will not rust.
it works well, but might look at the other mods that have been mentioned as the fuel capacity on the trangia burner is better.

True - you don't exactly get much simmer time off a can stove that will fit in the unmodified cooker. But then, I'm not usually looking to simmer on it - that's what the campfire (or pocket woodstove) is for. I tend to just use the crusader for brews, breakfast, or freeze-dried rations - i.e. when all I'm looking for is boiling water, and preferably fairly quickly.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
True - you don't exactly get much simmer time off a can stove that will fit in the unmodified cooker. But then, I'm not usually looking to simmer on it - that's what the campfire (or pocket woodstove) is for. I tend to just use the crusader for brews, breakfast, or freeze-dried rations - i.e. when all I'm looking for is boiling water, and preferably fairly quickly.

Agreed - I do the same, if its just a day walk I take the jet boil, but I'm trying to move away from gas.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
cook2crusader.jpg

and it still all fits in my pouch.

Tree

Good idea!!

Few questions though:

1. Did you remove the fuel bowl thingy (where you put in either greenheat gel or hexy blocks) - and if so, how did you removed it?

2. What about stability in this set up? As it looks a bit top heavy to me :confused:

Think this set up will also work if don't make notches in the cooker but in the IKEA drainer.

Good idea!!

Few questions though:

1. Did you remove the fuel bowl thingy (where you put in either greenheat gel or hexy blocks) - and if so, how did you removed it?

2. What about stability in this set up? As it looks a bit top heavy to me :confused:

Think this set up will also work if don't make notches in the cooker but in the IKEA drainer.

Hi Ahjno,

1. No, the fuel bowl is still there as I still use hexi & greenheat in it. The burner fits inside it fine.

2. Solid as a rock , even when I have a full 14cm billy boiling away on it.(I think the picture makes it look that way.)
I did think of notching the drainer, but , it's top ring(tubular bent over bit) is what give the whole ring its strength and as the crusader cooker walls are thicker , I thought it would be better to notch them and it works really well this way :).

3. The metal tent pegs/rests were cut to length to fit the ring & can be set at 2 diff. heights and are still v ery stable.

Tree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE