Cross-country skiing & Snowshoeing - Norway

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Hi, me and the other half will be off to colder climes in a few months time, all the way through the winter (Norway). With any luck we'll also end up in another cold Nordic country together after that for the foreseeable - thats the plan...

On a recent trip to Iceland I was astounded at the amount of snow there was, far more than I had ever seen before! Likewise in North Wales this winter we had more snow than I had ever seen before, stand fast that Iceland trip. More than I had ever known in the UK before certainly!

The realisation has set in that going hiking in these countries is not going to be like a spring hike along the Glyderau if its in any time from late September to early April... there will be much snow and ice! I love the outdoors now, and I intend to continue to enjoy the outdoors with my other half whilst exploring some new places together, even if it is knee-deep in snow outside... With this in mind, does anyone have any advice on how to get from A to B in the outdoors in these areas?

Do we need instruction or lessons on snowshoes, or is it simply a case of strap them on and walk? How best to get started? What sort of terrain/conditions are best for snowshoes and how do we know when it would be better to consider cross-country skiing?

How best to get into cross-country skiing in Norway (Bergen area we hope)? I've looked at ski places around there but it looks like it is Alpine downhill type resorts. I don't know if we can take cross-country ski lessons, thinking about it logically I'm guessing most Norwegians learn it from a young age or during national service, so I suppose there is no requirement for lessons/courses as such... Any advice on getting stuck into cross-country, and what sort of subtypes we need to be looking at the most - Nordic, Telemark, touring?

My only ski experience has been downhill (Alpine) and that is on UK dry slopes - fairly limited. And the other half is more at home on skates than skis, she has done even less than I.

Many thanks!
Iano

byfield lad

Mar 15, 2010
Warwickshire
Hi both,
I am Andrew's wife - and Norwegian so have a lot of experience with several meters of snow.
If you are planning on staying in/around Bergen this is a typical coastal climate and normally not a lot of snow, more snow one day and pouring rain the next. I have to say it has been different this winter where they have had 3 months of continuous snow (the oldest daughter studies there). So for any skiing activities you would normally have to get well out of the city.

Snowshoes are not good for much, they are mainly used for getting from A to B if it is a small distance. As an example can be mentioned from your car to your log cabin since it is easier with a big heavy backpack than on skies. I would not recommend this for any longer distances than 500 meters though. This is just to strap on and try, no training needed or possible.

So if you want to enjoy the outdoor life during winter it will have to be cross country skies. And do not buy any fancy stuff, normal touring skies are the best for beginners and also make sure you buy the ones with grip underneath (uneven surface so you have a grip going uphill). That also saves using any ski-wax! Telemark skies are for fancy downhill stuff, in massive amounts of loose snow.

Most ski-centres (downhill resorts) also offers tuition in cross country skiing - we are used to foreign visitors not "born with skies" :D. But basically it is just to try it - and believe me it is not as easy as it looks. Andrew got quite good after 9 years in Norway - he even managed to carry the rucksack the last winter!!! You see, keeping the balance with just the skies is hard enough and when you add the challenge of a rucksack your carefully learned balance will have to be adjusted a lot.

We love a good skiing trip and the best is when you sit down, light up your stove and get the bacon butties going. And not to forget the flask with hot lovely chocolate!!!

Hope this helps a bit - let me know if you need more info.

Best regards,
Unni

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Unni, hae og takk!

If Bergen is full of rain it sounds a lot more like Wales (my home) than Iceland (hers!) - o well! But I also understand there is a Bergen to Oslo train line with ski places along this, perhaps it is not too difficult to get out of town, especially as we hope to get a car too and travel all over every chance we get! Sounds like they got the same cold spell as we in UK did the past few months...

Its good to hear that it is very possible to learn over there, I think Iceland is not so much into the cross-country skiing so it would be great to get the chance to learn properly in Norway first, even if it is difficult... I seemed to learn quite well at the Alpine type even if it is dry slope and different, so I hope we both can pick this up also, and get out and about lots!

As a complete beginner at cross-country skiing then, can I just ask, you recommend 'touring' type of skiing and kit for getting from A to B? I'm not too sure of the differences between different types, touring or Nordic or others. And you recommend to get a surface on the bottom of skis, like the mohair effect? And there is effectively no point in bothering with snowshoes for the Norwegian nature if they are for short distance only then I suppose?

Lots of questions I know but thanks for your help!
Cheers!
Ian

byfield lad

Mar 15, 2010
Warwickshire
Hi again,

Touring skies are the normal standard type of skies and a bit wider than skies used for advanced skiers (and racing). The effect I tried to explain is that the surface underneath has a sort of "fish scales", it helps stopping you gliding backwards but still slides well enough forward. In Norwegian it is called "smoerefrie ski". You can use the cross country skies to get anywhere you want - as long as there is snow.

I do not think you will need snowshoes - most people do not use these.

And yes, you can take the train out of Bergen to ski resorts.

Best regards,
Unni

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In the scandinavian countries, its common to see the locals training for cross country skiing using wheeled skis in the summer. They are about 2 ft long with wheels at either end.
I liked the idea of them, but in the end reckoned id get mown down by an idiot driver. :drive: They would definately get you in shape, but would make you look like a plank. :lmao:
Cycling is the next closest thing to x-country skiing in terms of muscle group usage to get you fitter, if you need .

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I saw those wheeled summer skis, a video of a 'summer biathalon'. Thought it was just to be able to do biathalon in a warmer country, didn't realise they were for skiing practice per se. It looked like a LOT of work on wheels... as far as my bike goes I reckon its a bit more practical everyday as well! Will have to spend lots of time on it this summer :)

Cheers for the advice, off to find out more about ski touring now ^_^

I.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
As a brit who has tried my hand at x country only 3 times i would strongly suggest looking out a track to try on. Lots of places have jogging/walking circuits in the summer, which in winter become light ski'ing tracks!
If you start with these there will be an existing track cut from other users which makes starting soo much easier. Its really good fun and quite hard work, but you will find you improve very rapidly. What took me 3 hours the first day only took 40 mins the second.
A lot of places you can hire skiis which is good because they will either be the wax fre type or they will put the right wax on for you. I dont know how the wax wrks but different types of snow require different wax. If you have the wrong wax for the snow i hear it can be miserable going.
See if you can hire ski-is where you are goindg and then just have a go - its good fun but just remember when you have a Nosk family breething down your neck its polite to step out of the track so they can pass.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE