Crooked knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I recieved a crooked knife blade from FGYT today and, seeing as it was the weekend, I set to work fashioning a handle for it. I used a number of pictures that I gathered from the web to give me a shape to follow and used a piece of Zebrano wood that I had in my stockpile.
Here's the results.

The wood, cut to the basic shape, ready for carving.
DSC_0003.jpg

Here you can see the curve of the blade clearly.
DSC_0002.jpg

The handle has been carved and sanded, a recess cut into the handle for the blade tang , glued and pinned in place and finally, as seems traditional with this kind of knife, binding attached. I used Jute twine.
DSC_0004-2.jpg

Some detail of the handle.
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Here you can clearly see that the blade is off-set and attached on one side of the handle.
DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

All in all, it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined to make a handle for this knife. The palm up carving style may be a bit more difficult to master. The blade is very sharp and the swept back shape makes it sit very well with the draw knife style of cutting. A very nice blade and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE