crooked knife- sharpening how to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi..........I use a diamond steel, like a butchers steel which is oval shaped instead of the usual round ones. You have to go slowly and carefully, but it works a treat. I have not found a way of stropping though.............
Good luck Jon

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I've got a Frost's Mora crooked knife, which is bevelled on the outside edge. Does anyone have any suggestions how to sharpen that, as I'm finding it impossible to sharpen on a waterstone?

Pappa

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I have the double edge frosts hook knife, with the bevel on the outside, and the way I sharpen it is this. Get your strop and apply a small amount of stropping compound (available at axminsters or quality shaving companies) and start on the part of the edge closest to the handle. Then, as you push the edge backwards down the strop rotate the blade anticlockwise (if you are righthanded). Do this 20 times on each edge and it will be razor sharp again. Be very careful not to roll the edge as you come to the end of the stropping as you will end up needing to buy a new hook knife.

The best thing about the frosts (apart from the low low price) is the edge retention - if you do this properly you will not have to do it very often at all (thankfully).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE