Crook knives etc,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hello good people,

i am soon to get my first set of carving tools for general projects and am currently looking towards the Ben Orford site with supplimentation via a couple of other sites to get a decent general tool kit. What would you consider to be a good basic tool set for general purpose use. I have come up with Small forrest axe (already own), small adze, sloyd knife (mid sized), small & medium crook knives and an Indian internal bevelled crook knife. What do you think of these choices? oo many/too few? Your advice greatfully appreciated.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I think it will be entirely your own personal decision. How big will the projects be, how often will you use them, how large is your budget, etc. Start off with what you have, then add to it as needs require and funds allow. My kit is a Mora 164, Flexcut hook knife, Mora 106 and Japanese hand axe. Kuksas, spoons and wood spirits are all achievable with these. Beware, carving is addictive. :)

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I think it will be entirely your own personal decision. How big will the projects be, how often will you use them, how large is your budget, etc. Start off with what you have, then add to it as needs require and funds allow. My kit is a Mora 164, Flexcut hook knife, Mora 106 and Japanese hand axe. Kuksas, spoons and wood spirits are all achievable with these. Beware, carving is addictive. :)

I can well imagine it is Crossland. My first attempt was what i took to be an admirable spoon but on later reflection turned out to be a bit of a flop. i want to add carving to my list of pastimes to spend less time polishing my boots which is equally addictive. Do you think that the adze is required for these type of projects at this stage or shall i just get a large and small crook knife?The intention is just to start with a few spoons.fork and knife, and perhaps a bowl before move onto more advanced bits and pieces.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
IMHO less is more until you absolutely need it. You will be amazed at what you can achieve with just a basic kit, also you will pick up the skills needed.
All the best with your carving,
Colin.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Fair enough. Perhaps you have saved me going overboard, phew. One thing i wondered is crook knives- can i get away with a small one or a medium one? Not sure of the benefits or liability of each item if used as a general purpose carver. Appreciate your advice Colin.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
get a small saw: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-F180-...7WGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364930615&sr=8-1 , a mora 106: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Frost-...5YN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364930563&sr=8-1 and a VBen Orford medium crook knife:http://benorford.com/CarvingTools.aspx or a Nic westerman crook knife: http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk/traditional-hand-tools/cat_6.html

I have a Ben Orford crook knife and it's great, my neighbour has a Nic westerman crook knife blade he has to hand;e and the finish is superb! It is mirror polished and certainly looks amazing! Either will work though so get the one you like the look of ;)

Can't comment on an adze as I don't have/need one.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll have my Crook knife at the Suffolk Meeting, as always i'll be carving soem sort of spoon lol, you can have a go at the Mora double sided one then, if I was honest I would now not buy the double edged one, and would get another one but it still does the job well.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I'll have my Crook knife at the Suffolk Meeting, as always i'll be carving soem sort of spoon lol, you can have a go at the Mora double sided one then, if I was honest I would now not buy the double edged one, and would get another one but it still does the job well.

Cheers Stu. Yes i read another reviewer of the double sided Mora who found it to be a bit of a finger biter. Look forward to having a little go with yours ta.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
If you're going for a Ben Orford spoon knife I would advise either the medium or the small flatter type. I have the flatter type and it is great, especially for finishing cuts. It's more difficult to get a smooth finish that doesn't look like a ploughed field when your knife has a tighter curve. The tighter curve is more suitable for deep hollowing, like on a kuksa. I've never used the medium knife, but it looks like it might give you the best of both worlds with a tight curve at the tip, but still plenty of blade towards the handle for smooth cuts. It's all personal preference, but i wouldn't bother with the hybrid handle. I always use a spoon knife with a palm down hold, which allows me to rest my thumb on the spoon and use it as a fulcrum. I don't think a palm up grip would give the same amount of control. Indian style crook knives are great tools , so if you want one, get one, but a hybrid handle spoon knife seems like a compromise. i use my crook knife very differently to the way I use my spoon knives.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
If you're going for a Ben Orford spoon knife I would advise either the medium or the small flatter type. I have the flatter type and it is great, especially for finishing cuts. It's more difficult to get a smooth finish that doesn't look like a ploughed field when your knife has a tighter curve. The tighter curve is more suitable for deep hollowing, like on a kuksa. I've never used the medium knife, but it looks like it might give you the best of both worlds with a tight curve at the tip, but still plenty of blade towards the handle for smooth cuts. It's all personal preference, but i wouldn't bother with the hybrid handle. I always use a spoon knife with a palm down hold, which allows me to rest my thumb on the spoon and use it as a fulcrum. I don't think a palm up grip would give the same amount of control. Indian style crook knives are great tools , so if you want one, get one, but a hybrid handle spoon knife seems like a compromise. i use my crook knife very differently to the way I use my spoon knives.

Thanks Heath very informative and greatly appreciated :)

Great blog by the way.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE