Crook knives... again!

Hi All.

I know this is a common thread on this forum but I have only just discovered knives other than the Mora crook knife (Ben Orford/Svante Djarv). Having felt the quality of the other two by comparison I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what would be a good dependable work horse of a knife. For those in the know do you own several sizes... do you need several sizes!!! and one other conflicting piece of advice from one manufacturer suggested that you should own both left and right handed models...

I got on fine with one but would really appreciate some advice from the grand masters on this site!

Thanks

Leo

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You don't really need a left and a right handed. The only time I ever use a leftie is when deep hollowing something like a kuksa and then I only use it because I've got one (we teach so have a good range!) You can work all the way around with a right hander if that's all you have.

It's difficult to know which hook knife to recommend other than to say you'll find the next stage up a great improvement on the Mora. If you do a search on "hook knife passaround" on here you'll find some pictures and comments on most of those available. If you get the opportunity try a few belonging to other folk before you buy.

My current favourite that is easily available to buy is the large Svante Djarv - I think it has a better shape than the small one that is more commonly used.

Nicola

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
a better hook will help you no end, the svante djarv ones are excellent, as are the ben orford ones, i prefer the handles on Ben Orfords.

you don't really need a left and right handed one, just get a small or medium sized one from whichever designer takes your fancy- most probbably hey will be able to advise you of which of their products would be best suited to you.

Nathan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE