crkt first strike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
hi

i just got myself a crkt first strike knife but im not sure of the best way to sharpen it as it is part convex ground

anyone got any ideas?

or anybody got one?

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
no i havent got one but just do a search and im sure you will find something

leon

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
I haven't owned mine long enough to need to sharpen it yet. I was very lucky when travelling through Seattle WA a couple of weeks ago they had them on sale at one of the sporting goods chain stores called "Big 5" for $25! I couldn't resist and took one along.

Good luck with yours, they seem to be great knives.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
let me know if ther's anything you need to know that isn't covered in my sharpening article

I will point out that sharpening a convex with wet&dry may spoil the look of some finishes, if the scratch pattens run in the same direction asd the cutting edge to start off with you will be adding scratch patterns perpendicular to these, depening on how well the steel holds an edge you should get by for a long time with stropping with buffing compound and maybe a few strokes with a sharpmaker

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
im thinking about sourcing some leather and stropping compound....dont think i can use sharpening stones on this one cause its a semi convex grind....the hoodoo hone thingy looks like itll do it ok....i just have to find some leather from somewhere.

thanx

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
bazil said:
ps

does anyone know where i can get some leather for a strop?
or what leather to use as a strop?
you can get away with just about any piece of flat leather, a belt is a common one (you could try a charity shop)
you could also ask a local shoe repair shop how big their offcuts might be

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I tend to use the furry side - it make loading up the stropping compound easier and, if the belt is one you intend to also use to keep your trousers up, it doesn't spoil the shiny side.

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE