Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
not a bad nights work, this little lot came from a pond near me

creyfish002.jpg

creyfish004.jpg

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
The instructors were fishing for them on last week's fundamental bushcraft course - just using a line with a stone tied near the end, then a bit of cheese wrapped in cloth as bait. Once they found the right spot we were pulling one out every 30 seconds or so. And the best bit is you *have* to eat them because it's illegal to throw them back :)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
How many traps did you use to catch them or did they all come out of the same Pot ??

I've thought of getting one of those traps but we don't have crayfish where I live:sadwavey:

So it would be for Crabs.

MickT

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a cracking haul Ian, what bait were you using ?

The best I've tried so far was a half opened tin of tuna.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
That's a cracking haul Ian, what bait were you using ?

The best I've tried so far was a half opened tin of tuna.

I'm using the disgarded bits (heads & tails) from the trout that I catch from the same pond.

I'm going to buy another two pots so that we can cook and freeze them

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
How many traps did you use to catch them or did they all come out of the same Pot ??

I've thought of getting one of those traps but we don't have crayfish where I live:sadwavey:

So it would be for Crabs.

MickT

its a crab / bait pot that you ca buy from most tackle shops, I only use 1 pot at the mo but plan to buy some more.

Well this has inspired me....
How would i know where to go to catch Crayfish? May be a daft question but i don't have a clue!

J

J where about's in Somerset are you? I have some traps but haven't used them yet (long story) I have a maps of Wiltshire streams where they can be found too. I think they prefer stoney bottomed streams and chalk... but i'm sure they are everywhere.

Leo

Ruvio

Nomad
apparrantly though, you need a special license to trap the american signal crayfish...
which seems idiotic, since they want people to kill them
just antoher way for them to make money eh...will post the link for licenses when i find it

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I live near Bruton so not that far from Frome.
If your ever gonna go on crayfish hunt Leo give me a shout if you want some company.
If anyone has ever caught any Crayfish in rivers in Somerset let me no if you'd be so knid.

J

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
apparrantly though, you need a special license to trap the american signal crayfish...

Yes you should get a licence from the enviromental agency you also need permission from the land owner and the people who have the fishing rights on the water you intend to trap, many people won't give permission as they fear the repercussions of you transferring the crayfish to other waters, but if you can find somewhere to trap them they make great eating

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
J where about's in Somerset are you? I have some traps but haven't used them yet (long story) I have a maps of Wiltshire streams where they can be found too. I think they prefer stoney bottomed streams and chalk... but i'm sure they are everywhere.

Leo

be careful what you trap, our native crayfish are endangered and you may get a heavy fine if you trap them, only trap where the population is the american signal crayfish

Good Hunting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE