Craeg's recent projects part 2

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi All

Below are some of my most recent projects.

The sheaths & axe mask are made from veg tan 3-4mm leather that has been dyed with Fiebings and finished in carnauba wax and saddle cream with the edges all Edge Koted and burnished. The stitching is either 60lb artificial sinew or 18/4 linen thread that have been bees waxed and saddle stitching is used throughout.

Restored Carving Axe

The axe was a rusty old carboot find in the Kent pattern and I decided it needed a new life (I forgot to take a before photo). The steel was very high quality so it probably dates from the '30s. I cleaned it up but left some of the hand forged finish the I took off the knackered edge and gave it a completely new full radius for use as a carving axe. It seems to work great for hollowing out a bowl and this was my hope :D

SAM_1617.jpg

SAM_1612.jpg

SAM_1620.jpg

SAM_1618.jpg

I made the handle from a nice piece of ash that has been seasoning for about 2 years. I made it using my GB SFA, my new 5" curved draw knife and finally with my new carving knife (see below). No sandpaper was used so the finish has a nice texture that feels great in the hand. It was oiled with walnut for protection. it now has a lovely balanced feel to it when working. I loves it! I made him a coat and he is now a proud part of my tool team ;)

Carving Knife

The knife was hand forged by a smithy I know who uses the Japanese style of forging and he me made his take on the Frosts little carving knife. It is quite substanial and the edge is shave sharp and cuts beautifully. I handled him in some seasoned cherry I had which looks really nice after a dunking in walnut oil. Again it is finished with the knife so has a nice textured finish. Now he needs a coat :rolleyes:

SAM_1621.jpg

Curved Draw Knife

Lastly is my new 5" curved draw knife made by my smithy mate. Again hand forged using the same technique and again it is a great tool to use as it is shave sharp. It is handled with seasoned boxwood. He got a nice little coat with Sam Browne closures.

SAM_1623.jpg

SAM_1625.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE