Crab Apple Jelly

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just started a pot of crab apple jelly that I made from a tree we planted earlier this year. I only got a pound and a half of jelly. It's quite nice, but it has turned out rather sweet. I'm wondering if next year I can put something in to make it a bit less sweet. I was thinking about lemon juice, but not sure what effect that would have on the setting (e.g. I don't want it to set really solid).

Any thoughts - or other crab apple jelly recipes. I'm pretty sure the one I used was just apple juice and sugar.

Thanks.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you roughly chop the apples, just cover in water and stew slowly they'll breakup into mushy pulp. Strain the pulp through a sieve (you can rub through with a spoon to get as mucha s possible) and return the liquid to the pot. Now slowly simmer down to a thick paste, stirring frequently.
This doesn't make the classic clear jelly jam, but it will make the most wonderful tasting apple spread, with no added sugars.
My favourite is the onemade from pears though, it's brilliant. It's also a good way to use up the parings from preparing fruits for the dehydrator.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE