Cowd out

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Looking forward to testing my new hammock +tarp setup tonight
Might be be a bit chilly though -7 they reckon .
Not using an UB just a pad ,let you all know if I'm toasty or not

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Well , that was quite a pleasant night despite the temperature.
Think I need to experiment a bit more with my sag .
As for using a mat , a couple of times I had cool spots , probably coz of mat sliding about , a zip or Velcro might cure that.
Would like to try an under quilt , but don't have the funds or room in my sack.
Any other options ?
Advice greatly received
Time for a brew

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
I'm certainly no expert. Until I was able to afford an under blanket the things that worked for me when the snow was on the ground were either, an old 3/4 length inflating mat across the hammock and under my shoulders to create a cross type shape with my regular mat (yep it was bulky and needed Velcro tabs to keep in place but was very toasty), then reading on here somewhere about cutting the top and bottom off of a kit mat and duct taping them as wings onto the remaining sides similar to the cross idea (once again to keep shoulders and elbows warmer, and as this is still being used as a kneeling mat in my canoe, always gets used on canoe trips), finally I think it was Shewie that mentioned on a thread about using a silver windscreen reflector and I'm afraid although I had my doubts at first this certainly works well and has the lightest and smallest pack size to the under blanket alternatives. Fortunately all of the above were already floating about the kit mountain and so had no extra cost, just added comfort as there's nothing better than waking to looking out at snow on the ground when your toasty and warm :). I also found a large tarp or second small tarp closing wind direction from one side made a huge difference in the few areas you can guarantee a constant wind direction. Hope you find something of interest in the ramblings:D

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Just bought an army surplus sleeping mat that has compartments you can stuff with insulating material
£12 off EBay
Gonna try it out on the 2nd of Feb up nr Gisburn Forest
What to stuff it with? May cut up a roll mat .
30 inches wide x 5ft 7"
Will report back with pics if I can

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE