Couple of Spoons

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Made these this afternoon, had a bit of spare time after i had done all of my running around for the day.:rolleyes:

The first one is from a piece of Poplar that ive had in the wood pile for a little while, has a tooled bowl and a sanded exterior surface

DSCN6814.jpg

DSCN6813.jpg

second one is made from a Willow branch and utilises the natural curvature of the branch as well as following the grain direction for the handle shape, fully tooled finish on this one, i.e. straight off the knife, cant use it for cooking though, because of the knot on the bowl

DSCN6785.jpg

DSCN6796.jpg

DSCN6801.jpg

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....lovely as usual....please explain to this noob tho....why a pity about the knot....?.....idve left it in on purpose....it would crack with cooking exposure?.....poison you?....fall into the food?.....warp? and if its a problem why'd ya do it?....

told you i'd pick ya brain m8.....just warmin up!

i'm 40 next week and have booked it all off.....we off to bodmin camping for some of it and me taking me nooby mora carvers with me....(dont) watch this space lol!

a

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The knot will trap food particles and therefore possibly bacteria as well, ive used spoons with knots in them and never had any problems though, the knot was just there when i started carving it, sometimes you can carve them out, but 'knot' this time

Enjoy Bodmin and take loads of pics of your spoons

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
really nice spoons Kepis, love the lines of the willow one. The first pic makes it look as though there's a crack in the top of the handle which I thought added character until i realised it's a leaf :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE