Couple of recent builds.

• Thread starter Something In The Woodshed
  • Start date
S

Something In The Woodshed

Here's a couple of knives I finished today ready for the outdoors.

The first is one of my Damascus Enzo's which I made with the intention of it being my personal user as every time I build one I end up selling it. This one is a little different as the scales are fitted with 4 stainless pins rather than Corby Bolts. The Ferrule is also a little different as it is a little bigger than usual and I angled it slightly against a nice dense piece of African Black Wood and finished it off with some blue liners. This one has superb balance just behind the ferrule.
VL8V8505.jpg

VL8V8503.jpg

Next up is a handled Falkniven H1 blade. I re-profiled the tang and ground off that horrid sticking out bit near the choil and added some depth to the inner curve on the handle so the hand doesn't slip onto the blade (not that it would with good cutting technique). I fitted some exhibition grade Desert Iron Wood fitted with simple brass pin. I had thought of adding some Mosiac pins but thought it might too a bit much. I also left the tang exposed which is a nice touch.
Although the H1 is advertised as a 'hunting' knife I much prefer it over the F1 blade for bushcraft. That scandi/ convex grind bites like sharks teeth on wood. My only gripe with this fantastic steel is that you won't get much spark from your fire steel, even with a squared off spine.
I have a few different versions of these, but this one is my favourite. It feels like it could split brinks when you hold it..

VL8V8517.jpg

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Both knives very nice indeed, and you are absolutely right about the H1, i have a bog standard version and it is one of my favourite users and very underated for use on wood.

S

Something In The Woodshed

Here's another one I done a while ago. When I first got the H1 blade I put on a bit of Buffalo Horn and gave it a ruff shape as I wanted to test the knife first. The blade went beyond my expectations and so I finished off the knife altering the handle shape slightly. This is the finished product.
I should point out that I think Buffalo Horn is an excellent material for Bushy Knives and I am surprised not to see more of it. Its tough, feels good in the hand and takes a fine polish. Some say it moves and shrinks, but so does wood if its not dried out properly or stabilised. Personally I have never had a problem with it although it does match me wretch when you sand it as it really stinks, but its not as bad a Camel Bone... (where's the bucket)..
VL8V8524.jpg

VL8V8518.jpg

Sep 8, 2011
Liverpool
Lovely work, especially the H1 Buffalo. And I agree, buffalo horn is fabulous stuff, looks great and feels great too. Does stink tho when working it, but the end results are worth it.

Ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE