Couple of nice old bags in need of some TLC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Having recently had my interest in fishing re ignited (after 20+ years!) I decided to dig out some old stuff I inherited round about the time I stopped.

Obviously there are lots of useful bits and pieces there, including a rod bag, and matching tackle bag/seat, both made of canvas. As you will see they are both in need of a jolly good clean up, along with the odd repair.

Bag:
25052011024.jpg

The bag has some sort of metal frame inside which makes it a very sturdy seat (and a heavy bag!) There is a label inside which might mean something to someone:
25052011026.jpg

The rod bag has an umbrella pocket on the outside and seems to be the same colour canvas - probably originally bought as a matching pair - but has no label that I can see, and will need a new zip at some point:
25052011027.jpg

I would like to make use of these items, but am really unsure as to how to go about cleaning them - I really dont want to ruin them! So any suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Mods: sorry if posted in wrong place, not too sure where it would 'fit' :)

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Hmmm nobody got a suggestion? Was thinking about jet washing them, but not sure if it would be a good idea?

Really can't bear the thought of carrying my nice old cane rods about in a newer nylon bag!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Personally I'd begin with some simple mild detergent and a bit of elbow grease!

Does the frame come out of the tackle box/seat? Not only to try cleaning that up as well but to see if it can be replaced with a lighter weight alternative!

I don't think it will ever get to "as new" condition but you shoiuld be able to reduce the appearance of some of the stains.

ATB

Ogri the trog

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Thanks for that Ogri, Think the frame is rivetted to the canvas - or is that the otherway round?? (it's in the shed at moment, and I'm not popping down there while it's raining like this!) I do know that I tried to slide the frame out of the bag, but it wouldn't come out - should have looked at it more closely then.

I'm not looking to get them "as new" as they are old, and I think the 'aged' look would suit them better. Just want to clean them and repair where necessary.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
oooppppps silly me! I've only just read the title of this thread - yes I know I wrote it, but was done without thinking. Obvously no offence is meant to anyone at all :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE